Tuesday, December 28, 2010
Five area teams stay winners in FW tournament
By Travis L. Brown
Some of the area's top boys basketball talent is being showcased at W. G. Thomas Coliseum in Haltom City in the Orange Bracket of the Whataburger Basketball Tournament.
Featured in the tournament are four teams on the ESPN Dallas boys basketball top 10: No. 1 Flower Mound Marcus, No. 4 Cedar Hill, No. 5 North Crowley and No. 8 Plano West.
Those four teams and Richland won their first round games and will continue the tournament Tuesday in the winners bracket, while the rest seek a consolation championship.
Here is a look at some of Monday's action:
No. 5 North Crowley 76, Haltom 40
No. 4 Cedar Hill 78, Irving 51
- North Crowley led the entire game and held Haltom to only 3 points in the third quarter.
- North Crowley's Andrew Guillory lead all scorers with 14 and John Martin lead Haltom with 12 points.
No. 8 Plano West 73, Mansfield 40
- Cedar Hill held Irving to only 8 points in the first quarter and 18 in the first half.
- Cedar Hill's Darius Smith was the high point man with 18 and Irving's J.J. Thompson lead his squad with 15 points.
- Including Smith, three Cedar Hill players hit double digits in points. Billy Johnson trailed Smith by two with 16 and Thomas Gipson finished with 14.
Richland 71, Justin Northwest 61
- Plano West's Geoffrey Graselle lead all scorers with 31.
- Mansfield's Jabbare Simpson was high man on his team with 11
- Mansfield lead 11-6 after the first quarter but was not able to keep up with Graselle and the Plano West offense.
No. 1 Flower Mound Marcus 80, Hurst L.D. Bell 55
- Richland's Wesley Gipson lead all scorers with 27 points. Northwest's Peri James lead his team with 11.
- Richland lead at the end of every quarter, but Northwest was able to pull within 5 points after the third quarter, outscoring Richland in the second, 16-11, and coming within one in the third, 15-14.
Trinity Catholic (Ky.) 60, Southlake Carroll 48
- Marcus' Phillip Forte lead both teams in scoring with 25 points, most from 7 made baskets from behind the arch.
- Marcus Smart of Marcus was the second top scorer with 16 points. He is currently No. 32 on the ESPNU Super 60 top recruits for the class of 2012. He is undecided but is considering Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Marquette, Baylor and Kansas State.
- Bell's Garrett Hammonds lead his team with 12 points.
- Bell lead after one quarter, but five 3-pointers from Forte in the second quarter put Bell away for the remainder of the game.
Houston Wheatley 103, Fort Worth Dunbar 101
Little Rock (Ark.) Parkview 79, Arlington Martin 58
- 8:00 a.m. - Haltom vs. Mansfield
- 9:30 a.m. - Cedar Hill vs. Trinity Catholic
- 11:00 a.m. - Flower Mound Marcus vs. Houston Wheatley
- 12:30 p.m. - North Crowley vs. Plano West
- 2:00 p.m. - Richland vs. Little Rock Parkview
- 3:30 p.m. - Irving vs. Southlake Carroll
- 5:00 p.m. - Justin Northwest vs. Arlington Martin
- 6:30 p.m.- L.D. Bell vs. Fort Worth Dunbar