Monday, August 15, 2011
District 4-5A football season preview
By Randy Jennings
THE BIG QUESTION: Is Martin poised to become the bully of the block after defeating Bowie on the way to the District 4-5A title in 2010?
- Arlington (7-4, 5-2), lost in DII bi-district. Coach: Scott Peach.
- Arlington Bowie (7-4, 6-1), lost in DI bi-district. Coach: Kenny Perry.
- Arlington Lamar (5-6, 4-3), lost in DII bi-district. Coach: Trent Fuller.
- Arlington Martin (10-3, 7-0), lost in DI regional semifinal. Coach: Bob Wager.
- Arlington Sam Houston (4-6, 3-4). Coach: Anthony Criss.
- Fort Worth Paschal (1-9, 0-7). Coach: Matt Cook.
- North Crowley (2-8, 2-5). Coach: Keeath Magee.
- Weatherford (1-9, 1-6). Coach: Reid Waller.
Bob Wager’s Warriors have advanced to the third round of the playoffs in consecutive seasons, something never before accomplished at Martin.
Quarterback Brodie Lambert was named MVP in Martin’s Red Bull Game Breakers 7-on-7 national championship during the summer. There is quality in the eight returning starters on defense, including college commits Devonte Fields (TCU), Stephen Amoako and Eric Amoako (Oregon).
Arlington ISD rivals Bowie and Arlington High aren’t going to concede the title to Martin. Bowie returns experience at key spots and has advanced to the playoffs in all five seasons under coach Kenny Perry.
Arlington Lamar could figure into the mix after making the playoffs in its first season under a coach not named Eddy Peach.
PLAYERS TO WATCH
DE Devonte Fields, LB Cameron Williams, OL Steven Baggett, DB Eric Amoako, DB Stephen Amoako, Arlington Martin; QB/WR Kolby Listenbee, LB Jaquirous Jackson, DT Demonte Hood, RB Russell Hansbrough, Arlington Bowie; RB Tavarreon Dickerson, OL Daniil Lysenko, LB Curtis Douglas, Arlington; SS Paris Watson, LB Deandre Wilson, QB Connor Berry, Arlington Lamar; WR Xavier Mathews, North Crowley; WR Terrell Varnes, Arlington Sam Houston; QB Chris Hanson, Fort Worth Paschal; QB Trooper Reynolds, Weatherford.
DID YOU KNOW?
Four of the last five Martin seasons have ended with a playoff loss to Euless Trinity. ... After going young in 2010, Arlington returns 19 starters. ... Second division finishers North Crowley, Arlington Sam Houston, Fort Worth Paschal and Weatherford won a total of eight games among them.
PROJECTED PLAYOFF TEAMS
- Arlington Martin
- Arlington Bowie
- Arlington Lamar