Thursday, August 25, 2011
District 12-4A football season preview
By Travis L. Brown
THE BIG QUESTION: Is this Woodrow’s big year to shine before the window closes?
- Dallas Adams (2-8,2-4). Coach: Derick Roberson.
- Dallas Conrad (7-4, 5-1), lost in DI bi-district. Coach: Darren Duke.
- Dallas Hillcrest (8-3, 6-0), lost in DII area. Coach: Andy Todd.
- Dallas Jefferson (0-10, 0-6). Coach: David Haynes.
- Dallas Lincoln (4-7, 3-3), lost in DII bi-district. Coach: James Argenti.
- Dallas Spruce (1-8, 1-5). Coach: Carl Richardson.
- Dallas Woodrow Wilson (8-3, 4-2), lost in DI bi-district. Coach: Bobby Estes.
Woodrow is known for being the only high school in Dallas that’s on a “first-name” basis with the city and for producing two Heisman Trophy winners.
The school has had a recent resurgence in football and had a second-place finish in 12-4A last season, but hey were a quick exit in the first game of the playoffs.
Woodrow returns players at key positions in QB Piers Christian and WR Shaquille Dottin, which solidifies one of the best offenses in the district.
Its top competitor is returning district champion Conrad, wich boasts the return of the district’s top rusher, Silas Jefferson.
Woodrow’s weakness is its lack of depth, which could be exploited next season.
If Woodrow is going to make a deep run in the playoffs, this is the year to make it happen.
PLAYERS TO WATCH
WR Kris Williams, DB/WR Shaquil Berry, Adams; QB Silas Jefferson, LB Johnathan Small, Conrad; ATH James Myles, QB Rocky Reyes, Hillcrest; DB Ulises Montalvo, LB/RB D’Ontrrius Jackson, Jefferson; QB Eric Neal, WR Derric Neal, LB Tabari McGaskey, Lincoln; OL Joshua Levy, DB DeAmonte Miles, RB Reginald Robertson, Spruce; QB Piers Christian, SS Andre Plata, WR Shaquille Dottin, Woodrow.
DID YOU KNOW?
Dallas Spruce is in its second year of varsity competition after having its athletic program shut down by the school district for two years... Dallas Lincoln is typically a threat for the top spot on the district, but returns only four starters and must work through inexperience to find success.
PROJECTED PLAYOFF TEAMS