Free agency: Shooting guards & small forwards
For instance, will Jason Terry and Vince Carter both move on, or will one or neither? At small forward, Shawn Marion and Kelenna Azubuike are the only true strong forwards on the roster. Marion averaged 10.6 points last season and scores mostly off slashes to the basket and offensive rebounds, while Azubuike has to prove that he can be a rotation player after being out of basketball since 2009 because of a major knee injury.
At shooting guard, Eric Gordon and O.J. Mayo are the most attractive names, however both are restricted. The New Orleans Hornets will likely be willing to match any offer Gordon receives. That remains to be seen in Mayo's case, but the Mavs would only be in that chase if Williams stays with the Nets.
Small forward options are thin with Gerald Wallace, who might re-sign with the Nets, restricted free agent Nicolas Batum and the Lakers' Matt Barnes.
Here's a quick glimpse of a few wing players that will be available in free agency:
1. Jamal Crawford, Blazers -- Opted out of his $5.2 million deal to become a free agent. A former Sixth Man of the Year, he could be a Terry replacement depending on his market value.
2. Nick Young, Clippers -- Made $3.7 million last season. He loves to shoot the rock and shoot it and shoot it.
3. C.J. Miles, Jazz -- Has made it known for years that he'd like to come home to Dallas. A former teammate of Williams' at Utah, Miles' progression hasn't been great and he seems in the mold of Corey Brewer.
1. Grant Hill -- He loves Phoenix, but if Steve Nash leaves, might Hill? What if Nash and Hill come to Dallas as a package?
2. Anthony Tolliver -- Hasn't scored like he did a couple years ago and he's a 32 percent shooter from beyond the arc.
3. Bill Walker -- The former Kansas State star has shown with the Knicks that he can be a positive player when healthy.
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast Rick Carlisle joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss the latest Mavericks news, Dirk Nowitzki and much more.
Play Podcast ESPN NBA Insider Chad Ford joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett discuss the upcoming NBA draft and possible moves the Mavericks could make.
Play Podcast ESPN NBA analyst Jalen Rose joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to talk about the NBA playoffs.
Play Podcast Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle gives his take on the contrasting styles of the Pacers and Knicks, Carmelo Anthony, Bulls-Heat, Tom Thibodeau, the state of the West and more.
Play Podcast Chuck Cooperstein joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to talk about who he would rather have if forced to choose between Dwight Howard and Chris Paul.
Play Podcast Tim MacMahon joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss the possibility of Chris Paul joining the Mavericks and break down what kind of pitch Mark Cuban would have to make to the NBA's best point guard.
Play Podcast ESPN.com senior NBA writer Marc Stein joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to touch on the storylines in the NBA playoffs and offer a Mavs perspective.
Play Podcast Rick Carlisle joins Chuck Cooperstein and Tim MacMahon to discuss the Mavericks' disappointing season and what needs to happen for them to get back to the playoffs.