Kevin Mench wins Heroes home run derby
FRISCO, Texas -- Former Texas Rangers player Kevin Mench walked away with the Baylor Medical Center at Frisco Celebrity Home Run Derby title Saturday with an impressive final-round showing.
The celebrities got a chance to show off their talents in a home run derby. Four markers on the field represented 100, 200, 300 and 400 points. The further the ball traveled, the more points the celebrity was awarded. A home run was worth 500 points.
Mench took the title with ease totaling 2,800 points in the final round, including three bombs out of the park. Former major leaguer Ben Grieve finished second with 1,500 points with one home run. Josh Henderson, who stars in the new "Dallas" TV series, was the third finalist finishing with 800 points in the final round.
* Dirk Nowitzki had a nice swing and took a couple of good cuts at the ball, but he couldn't quite find his home run rhythm.
* Charles Barkley gave it a valiant effort but failed to get the ball out of the infield.
* Vince Carter had one nice swing to deep left field. Delonte West and Rick Carlisle also had a good showing.
* Terrell Owens put a couple of good swings together to get 400 points. Dez Bryant showed his athleticism putting 600 points on the board.
* ESPN Dallas 103.3 FM's Ben Rogers outclassed his co-host Jeff "Skin" Wade. Rogers finished with 400 points with a couple of shots that landed foul, while Wade didn't get on the board.
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast ESPN NBA analyst Jalen Rose joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to talk about the NBA playoffs.
Play Podcast Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle gives his take on the contrasting styles of the Pacers and Knicks, Carmelo Anthony, Bulls-Heat, Tom Thibodeau, the state of the West and more.
Play Podcast Chuck Cooperstein joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to talk about who he would rather have if forced to choose between Dwight Howard and Chris Paul.
Play Podcast Tim MacMahon joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss the possibility of Chris Paul joining the Mavericks and break down what kind of pitch Mark Cuban would have to make to the NBA's best point guard.
Play Podcast ESPN.com senior NBA writer Marc Stein joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to touch on the storylines in the NBA playoffs and offer a Mavs perspective.
Play Podcast Rick Carlisle joins Chuck Cooperstein and Tim MacMahon to discuss the Mavericks' disappointing season and what needs to happen for them to get back to the playoffs.
Play Podcast Donnie Nelson joins Chuck Cooperstein and Tim MacMahon to discuss the Mavericks' season and the importance of this summer.
Play Podcast Rick Carlisle joins Galloway & Company to discuss the Mavericks playing after being eliminated from playoff contention, whom he wants to keep for next season and much more.