Friday, January 25, 2013
Buzz: Mark Cuban rules out Delonte West's return to Mavs
By Tim MacMahon
DALLAS – Delonte West’s stint with the D-League’s Texas Legends will not lead to his return to the Mavericks.
“Not gonna happen,” Mark Cuban said, cutting off any speculation that the Mavs might welcome back West. “That doesn’t mean we don’t like Delonte, care about him as a person, want to help him get back on track.”
Cuban apparently isn’t willing to risk experimenting with the chemistry that it took the Mavs almost half a season to establish.
The Mavs waived West, a quality role player during his lone season in Dallas, just before the season opener after suspending him twice for conduct detrimental to the team in October. There was concern about West -- who wasn’t pleased to have signed a one-year, minimum-salary contract for the second consecutive season -- negatively influencing younger players on the Mavs’ roster.
“It’s not worth talking about at this point in time,” Cuban said. “It is what it is.”
The Mavs are comfortable with their backup point guard situation. Mike James, the 37-year-old whom the Mavs signed after his two-game stint with the Legends, is manning the position as he nears the end of his second 10-day contract. At this point, the Mavs’ plan is to sign James for the rest of the season when his deal expires Sunday night.
“So far, so good,” Cuban said. “No reason to think otherwise at this point.”