Dallas Mavericks: Dr Pepper Ballpark
The proceeds gathered from Saturday's sellout at Dr Pepper Ballpark are going towards the Dirk Nowitzki Foundation and the Heroes Foundation.
"I did this because it's just such a great cause," Hall of Famer Charles Barkley said over the P.A. system during the game. "Dirk is a great friend, and I wanted to help him out."
FRISCO, Texas -- Former Texas Rangers player Kevin Mench walked away with the Baylor Medical Center at Frisco Celebrity Home Run Derby title Saturday with an impressive final-round showing.
The celebrities got a chance to show off their talents in a home run derby. Four markers on the field represented 100, 200, 300 and 400 points. The further the ball traveled, the more points the celebrity was awarded. A home run was worth 500 points.
Mench took the title with ease totaling 2,800 points in the final round, including three bombs out of the park. Former major leaguer Ben Grieve finished second with 1,500 points with one home run. Josh Henderson, who stars in the new "Dallas" TV series, was the third finalist finishing with 800 points in the final round.
* Dirk Nowitzki had a nice swing and took a couple of good cuts at the ball, but he couldn't quite find his home run rhythm.
* Charles Barkley gave it a valiant effort but failed to get the ball out of the infield.
* Vince Carter had one nice swing to deep left field. Delonte West and Rick Carlisle also had a good showing.
* Terrell Owens put a couple of good swings together to get 400 points. Dez Bryant showed his athleticism putting 600 points on the board.
* ESPN Dallas 103.3 FM's Ben Rogers outclassed his co-host Jeff "Skin" Wade. Rogers finished with 400 points with a couple of shots that landed foul, while Wade didn't get on the board.
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast Dallas Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett at Mavericks media day to discuss his expectations for the upcoming season.
Play Podcast Mark Cuban joins Galloway and Company to discuss the Mavericks' new GM Gersson Rosas and much more.
Play Podcast Fitzsimmons and Durrett discuss Mark Cuban's comments from Las Vegas about the Mavericks' offseason, how he sees the team without Dwight Howard and more.
Play Podcast Marc Stein joins Ian Fitzsimmons and Tim MacMahon to discuss why the Mavericks didn't want to match Cleveland's offer to Andrew Bynum, what's next for the Mavs and the possibility of Dirk Nowitzki ending his career elsewhere.
Play Podcast Jeff Platt fires quick-hitters at Ian Fitzsimmons and Tim MacMahon in the weekly sports standoff about Andrew Bynum, the Mavs' current backcourt, a potential Nelson Cruz suspension and more.
Play Podcast ESPN Los Angeles' Ramona Shelburne joins Ian Fitzsimmons and Tim MacMahon to discuss why she thinks Andrew Bynum got a bad rap in Los Angeles and how he would fit in with the Mavericks.
Play Podcast Buy, sell or hold? If Dwight Howard goes to another team, what are the Mavs' options? The guys take a look at a list of potential fallback options.
Play Podcast ESPN's Marc Stein joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to discuss the latest news on the Mavericks' meeting with Dwight Howard.