Dallas Mavericks: Josh Henderson
June, 30, 2012
By David Collier | ESPNDallas.com
FRISCO, Texas -- Former Texas Rangers player Kevin Mench walked away with the Baylor Medical Center at Frisco Celebrity Home Run Derby title Saturday with an impressive final-round showing.
The celebrities got a chance to show off their talents in a home run derby. Four markers on the field represented 100, 200, 300 and 400 points. The further the ball traveled, the more points the celebrity was awarded. A home run was worth 500 points.
Mench took the title with ease totaling 2,800 points in the final round, including three bombs out of the park. Former major leaguer Ben Grieve finished second with 1,500 points with one home run. Josh Henderson, who stars in the new "Dallas" TV series, was the third finalist finishing with 800 points in the final round.
* Dirk Nowitzki had a nice swing and took a couple of good cuts at the ball, but he couldn't quite find his home run rhythm.
* Charles Barkley gave it a valiant effort but failed to get the ball out of the infield.
* Vince Carter had one nice swing to deep left field. Delonte West and Rick Carlisle also had a good showing.
* Terrell Owens put a couple of good swings together to get 400 points. Dez Bryant showed his athleticism putting 600 points on the board.
* ESPN Dallas 103.3 FM's Ben Rogers outclassed his co-host Jeff "Skin" Wade. Rogers finished with 400 points with a couple of shots that landed foul, while Wade didn't get on the board.