Match day info: New York Red Bulls at FC Dallas, MLS Cup Playoffs
Wild Card Match, 2011 MLS Cup Playoffs
Wed., Oct. 26, Pizza Hut Park, 8 p.m. CT
(FOX Soccer, TSN2)
With the World Series postponed, fans can show a ticket stub from any 2011 Rangers game to receive $6 ticket price to the FC Dallas playoff match tonight. Without a Rangers ticket stub, tickets to tonight’s game start as low as $10.
Gates open at 6:30 p.m. with $2 beer, $4 wine and Hornitos margaritas at the Budweiser Beer Garden through halftime. There will also be $1 hot dogs at all concession stands.
REFEREE: Ricardo Salazar.
SAR (bench): Craig Lowry;
JAR (opposite): Peter Manikowski;
4th: Edvin Jurisevic
FC DALLAS -- OUT: DF Edson Edward (R knee ACL tear); MF David Ferreira (R ankle); GK Josh Lambo (jaw); MF Ricardo Villar (foot); PROBABLE: MF Andrew Wiedeman (groin) ...
NEW YORK RED BULLS -- OUT: DF Chris Albright (R calf strain); MF Sacir Hot (R knee surgery); MF Carl Robinson (R knee contusion); QUESTIONABLE: FW Luke Rodgers (L knee inflammation)
DAL 16 wins (0 SO), 59 GF ...
NY 18 wins (1 SO), 54 GF...
DAL 0 wins, 2 GF ...
NY 1 win, 3 GF ...
1 tie ...
AT PIZZA HUT PARK: 9/17: DAL 0, NY 1 (Rodgers 36)
MLS CUP PLAYOFFS:
DAL 0 wins, 2 GF;
NY 2 wins, 4 GF;
FC Dallas Match Preview
FC DALLAS NOTES
- FC Dallas come into the Wild Card after conceding seven goals in two games, a 3-0 loss to Toronto FC in the CONCACAF Champions League group finale that eliminated them from that competition, and a 4-2 loss at San Jose that kept them in the Wild Card after Real Salt Lake left the door open.
- Midfielder Ricardo Villar was forced off at halftime in the Toronto CCL match with a foot injury, an ailment that kept him unable to go in San Jose -- and has kept him out of full training in the days leading up to the Wild Card game.
- In the regular season finale, three players made their first league starts of the season, while three others made a return after a long absence. Winger Brek Shea missed just his third game of the season.
-Hyndman said midfielder David Ferreira, the 2010 MLS MVP injured in April, would not be available.
- When FC Dallas reached MLS Cup a year ago, they did it after a two-year absence from the postseason. They have won their last two playoff games at Pizza Hut Park, including a 2-1 win against Real Salt Lake in the first leg of the Western Conference semifinals last year.
NEW YORK RED BULLS NOTES
- The Red Bulls went 4-2-1 down the stretch to clinch the final playoff spot -- a stretch that started with a 1-0 win at FC Dallas on Sept. 17, when Luke Rodgers scored the game's lone goal.
- Red Bulls head coach Hans Backe said on Tuesday that striker Luke Rodgers would not be available. New York are 1-3-7 this season without Rodgers in the lineup.
- With Rodgers out, Dane Richards appears to be the odds-on choice to partner Thierry Henry in attack.
- Juan Agudelo has not started since that match in Dallas, when he started in place of an injured Henry. Backe indicated the teenager could fill Richards' place wide on the right of midfield.
- The Red Bulls have won their last three road games in the MLS Cup Playoffs. They won in Houston and Salt Lake on their way to MLS Cup 2009, and won the first leg of last year's Eastern Conference semifinals at San Jose before falling in the second leg.
Play Podcast Marc Stein and Steve Davis review all the latest happenings with the U.S. national soccer team in the wake of its big win over Panama in Seattle.
Play Podcast Marc Stein and Steve Davis relive all the ins and outs from the United States' 2-1 victory in Jamaica and start looking forward with a preview of what awaits the national team Tuesday in Seattle against Panama.
Play Podcast It's a national team-centric episode of Soccer Today, which Marc Stein and Steve Davis commence by looking ahead to Sunday's friendly against Germany in the nation's capital and reviewing Wednesday's 4-2 defeat to Belgium in Cleveland.
Play Podcast Marc Stein and Steve Davis discuss the big news that Manchester City and the New York Yankees are joining forces to own Major League Soccer's 20th franchise.
Play Podcast Marc Stein and Steve Davis discuss to the retirements of Sir Alex Ferguson and David Beckham as well as Landon Donovan's omission from Jurgen Klinsmann's national team roster.
Play Podcast Soccer Today broadcasts an international edition with Marc Stein in London to cover the FA Cup final for ESPNFC, while Steve Davis joins from the ESPN Dallas studios in Las Colinas.
Play Podcast Robbie Rogers joins Soccer Today to discuss his MLS comeback plans, what it's been like for him at the Galaxy's training ground after he said in February that he is gay and needed to step away and Jason Collins' announcement in the NBA.
Play Podcast It's a travelogue edition of Soccer Today with Marc Stein in Houston covering the NBA playoffs and Steve Davis just back from a trip to the nation's capital to visit Jurgen Klinsmann. The guys kick off the morning by sharing stories from the road.