Practice observations: May the 4th be with you
Your eyes can deceive you; don't trust them. - Obi-Wan Kenobi
It's been a while since I've done a practice observations, life can sometimes get in the way. But I was in town so I stopped by Frisco for Friday's session.
- Based on what I saw today I wouldn't think Brek Shea would play this weekend. FCD has shut him down as a precaution, today he just did some light jogging and walking. Shea has a turf tow injury he picked up in Vancouver. He did play on it in LA and technically he's a game time decision. Coach Schellas Hyndman seems to think Shea can go, but with three games in seven days they may not risk him for this one.
- If Shea is out Scott Sealy seems the most probably to start in his place with Jackson just back and Adnrew Wiedeman & Carlos Rodriguez both injured.
- New trialist... or really a new signing. James Marcelin a Hatian holding mid recently waived by Portland Timbers (to make room for Steven Smith). Marcelin is a big kid, looks athletic and rangy in training, his touch looks good. FCD has requested to claim him off waivers after he played in the FCD Reserve game this week. There is an order to the waiver process, so once he clears to FCD he will be added to the FCD roster. That should happen today. He's a replacement for Bobby Warshaw, although even without Warshaw being on injured reserve FCD does have an open space.
- Fernando Clavijo is down in Panama scouting players. FCD may look to bring someone into the club next window. They have some room, a mid tier number perhaps. A "big" move would require FCD clearing some cap... The latter is what I expect to happen this summer.
- Bryan Leyva was missing today, he called in sick. Yes, seriously.
- Carlos Rodriguez was outside jogging for the first time since he was injured. He looks to be way off a return to me, couple weeks to my non0doctor eye. Hyndman confirmed C-Rod is not close.
- Ricardo Villar is jogging and doing some ball work. Moved better than Shea I thought. Getting close on Villar return to training.
- Kevin Hartman is back to full training and Hydnman says he had a great week. Hyndman hasn't made a cal yet as to who will start.
- FCD ran shot training sessions all this week, the hope is it will help their recover time in the short window before their next game after playing Colorado this weekend.
Play Podcast Marc Stein and Steve Davis discuss to the retirements of Sir Alex Ferguson and David Beckham as well as Landon Donovan's omission from Jurgen Klinsmann's national team roster.
Play Podcast Soccer Today broadcasts an international edition with Marc Stein in London to cover the FA Cup final for ESPNFC, while Steve Davis joins from the ESPN Dallas studios in Las Colinas.
Play Podcast Robbie Rogers joins Soccer Today to discuss his MLS comeback plans, what it's been like for him at the Galaxy's training ground after he said in February that he is gay and needed to step away and Jason Collins' announcement in the NBA.
Play Podcast It's a travelogue edition of Soccer Today with Marc Stein in Houston covering the NBA playoffs and Steve Davis just back from a trip to the nation's capital to visit Jurgen Klinsmann. The guys kick off the morning by sharing stories from the road.
Play Podcast At the end of a sobering week in sports, Marc Stein and Steve Davis open Soccer Today from Copa ESPN by discussing the New England Revolution and the heavy emotions involved in playing a game just days after the Boston Marathon bombings.
Play Podcast Marc Stein and Steve Davis discuss Brek Shea's new team Stoke City taking on his former team FC Dallas in a friendly this summer.
Play Podcast Marc Stein and Steve Davis lament the performance of MLS clubs in the CONCACAF Champions League after the Seattle Sounders and Los Angeles Galaxy lost at home in the semifinals.
Play Podcast Marc Stein and Steve Davis discuss the United States national team after its 0-0 tie in Mexico shifted all the World Cup qualifying panic from the United States onto its hosts at Estadio Azteca.