The 2011 MLS Expansion Draft is right around the corner (November 23rd). FCD is in the process of finalizing their protected list. But rather than wait for them to announce it, we're going to take a guess.
Each MLS team will submit a list of 11 protected names that coach Jesse Marsch and the expansion Montreal Impact can't draft.
In addition automatically protected are all the Home Grown and Generation adidas players. CD currently has eight of them: Josh Lambo, Andrew Wiedeman, Bryan Leyva, Ruben Luna, Victor Ulloa, Moises Hernandez, Jonathan Top, and Richard Sanchez. Any player graduating from Generation adidas (Josh Lambo?) will do so before the expansion draft and won't get automatic protection.
So here's our educated guess at the 11 FCD protected players.
1. David Ferreira - the 2010 MLS MVP. Injured all of 2011. Still a dead solid lock to be protected.
2. Brek Shea - the 2011 FCD MVP and a finalist for MLS MVP. Also a dead solid lock to be protected.
3. Kevin Hartman - The best keeper in MLS the last two years in many minds.
4. Marvin Chavez - FCD's second leading scorer in 2011 as he became the player FCD thought they were getting.
5. Ugo Ihemelu - The defensive leader for FCD. Hyndman raves about Ugo every chance he gets.
6. George John - Hyndman says the transfer thing is all water under the bridge. All it good.
7. Jair Benitez - FCD just gave him an extension. Oh, and speed kills.
8. Zach Loyd - By the end of 2011 the for sure starter at right back and he's even in the US National team pool.
9. Andrew Jacobson - When not injured he was one of FCD's best mids, led FCD is assists.
10. Fabian Castillo - You don't pay what FCD paid for this kid and then let him get taken in an expansion draft.
11. Jackson - Some days he's the best player on the field, some days he's a liability. Just to much talent to let go.
Which leaves a list of 10 names unprotected for Montreal to pick from. FCD could lose one, but only one, of these players. Let's look at each and talk about why I think FCD will expose them.
Daniel Hernandez - The captain and my 2nd place FCD MVP. Yes, he's a vital part of FCD... but he's 34. Montreal would never pick him.
Chris Seitz - A danger to get taken, has been an MLS starter and an expansion team could get a solid keeper here. When you have Kevin Hartman, a 2nd keeper is a luxury you can't afford to protect.
Ricardo Villar - Turned out to be a nice player down the stretch although more production would be nice. Would he start in Dallas if everyone was healthy? No. so he'll be exposed. Another player in risk of being taken.
Maicon Santos - Didn't produce the goals FCD needs up top, but has been a decent player for a couple clubs. A player an expansion team might take a shot on.
Daniel Cruz - Have we even seen what this guy is really like, he's only been in Dallas a short time. Does anyone else even know what he is about? There's just no room for him to be protected.
Bobby Warshaw - A talented young holding mid or defender with a bunch of upside, versatility and soccer smarts. A Hyndman kind of player. But not yet good enough to be protected. It would be a shame to lose him too.
Bruno Guarda - One of Hyndman's boys, but little risk he gets nabbed at his contract number.
Jeremy Hall - Played with an injured groin from the TFC CCL game (and a half) on. For a player who relies so much on pace, a groin injury is debilitating. His contract number means he won't get picked even if someone thinks he might fill out their back line.
Mykel Galindo - Injuries have killed his career. Low risk since FCD is almost certainly gonna waive him anyway. So if you want him just wait for the waiver.
Edson Edward - Out for a year injured, it will be very tough for him to make the FCD roster in 2012. I doubt he would have made it in 2011 if not for the injury.