FRISCO -- The Stars practiced for about an hour and had several players not on the ice, including Mike Modano. The veteran Modano talked with the media about his playing time, which should be increasing with the loss of Tom Wandell (ACL surgery) and Mike Ribeiro (throat). A few thoughts:
* Modano said it's probably better for him, as far as getting in a rhythm, to play 18 minutes as opposed to 15 or 12. He's getting a chance to get breaks from practice in an effort to keep him rested. "I've felt good the last little while," Modano said. "You feel you have a little more impact in the game. Last night, playing with a variety of guys and different combinations and trying to get things done on the power play, so you remain in the flow."
* Modano said he doesn't have a desire to go play somewhere else at the trade deadline in an effort to try to win another Stanley Cup. (He's always said he likes Dallas and I would think he'd want to finish things off here). "I would think more serious about it if I hadn't won a Stanley Cup," Modano said. "I would really probably be thinking about that if I hadn't won it." But he did. So he's not thinking about it.
* Stars coach Marc Crawford said he expects Modano to play mostly with Toby Petersen and Brian Sutherby because they are used to each other and starting to develop a chemistry. But Modano could find himself on the ice with Jamie Benn, Brenden Morrow and others at times as well.
* Tom Wandell was officially put on the IR by the Stars. He is scheduled to have surgery to repair a torn ACL on Tuesday.
* Jere Lehtinen (neck) skated on Thursday and could play Friday. We'll see.
* Alex Auld is likely to start on Friday. No surprise there. He was solid on Wednesday and it appears he's going to get more chances down the stretch.
* Mike Ribeiro did not practice and is still not cleared for contact. He should skate with the club Friday morning, though.