DALLAS -- The Coyotes, who should have been tired after playing Saturday, had more energy early, grabbed the lead and played well with it. Dallas closed the gap in the third to one goal, but the Coyotes increased it right back to two goals and held on.
* Dave Tippett. The former coach came in with a team that had played less than 24 hours earlier and skated out a winner. He did it the same way he did at various times in six seasons at the helm of the Stars: Grab the lead and then clog things up defensively. Phoenix played a solid defensive game and didn't allow the Stars many chances.
* Three win jinx. Once again, the Stars failed in their opportunity to win a third game in a row. Is it a jinx of some kind?
* Jamie Benn. He played well, especially in the second period. He hit Brenden Morrow in the face with the puck in the first period, but that was forgotten in the second. He got to the front of the net, wasn't afraid to get physical and made some things happen. He certainly can skate and is adjusting to the center role. And he threw a few punches late in the third period too.
* Krys Barch. He didn't play much, but he had an impact. Barch opened the second period with some hard hitting and it helped get the Stars going with a more physical game. It led to more chances and better play.
* Third period flurry. The Stars really tested Ilya Bryzgalov as they charged the net hard and were physical, especially with a few minutes left and down by two goals. The Stars certainly didn't give up, that's for sure. They had the effort, just not the results.
* Mistakes. The Stars had some errors all game. They turned puck overs at the wrong time, didn't make crisp passes and were outworked at times. Phoenix should have been tired, but didn't look it.
* Alex Auld. The fourth goal was one he'd like to have back. He just didn't appear ready. The other goals were off turnovers and you can't blame Auld completely. He made most of the saves you would expect, but not enough of the ones you wouldn't expect. That's been the case most of the time from the Stars goalies this season.
* Shane Doan. He sure can play. Some nifty passes and a big goal late to give the Coyotes a cushion.
* Home streak over. The loss ends a five-game home winning streak. The Stars are still 13-3-2 in their last 18 games at AAC.