Sunday, January 24, 2010
A few quick thoughts on a 4-0 loss
By Richard Durrett
I'll admit that I found myself looking forward to stoppages in play on Sunday so that I could flip to the Minnesota-New Orleans NFC Championship Game. (As side note: Sunday was not fun for Ralph Strangis. The Stars lost and so did his Vikings).
* The Stars' road problems continued. I just don't get it. I don't know why Dallas can't generate the offensive pressure -- and play more solid in their own end -- on the road like they do at home. Strange. That's one win in the last 12 road games. Wow.
* I know the Avalanche Craig Anderson was good. But the Stars sure didn't make him work for it enough, did they?
* Stars penalty kill needs some work. Colorado got a power play goal early and grabbed momentum. The Stars also allowed a shorthanded goal. Not good.
* Matt Niskanen had a rough turnover on the shorthanded goal. He's still trying to build his confidence. Let's hope this doesn't set him back too much. I really think he can do it, but he has to believe he can do it. And making bad mistakes and critical times won't help.
* Marty Turco didn't get much help on defense. But that's the way it's been for parts of the season. He made some really nice saves, but also allowed a goal from distance on the power play. I still think he's looked better the last two games. I'd stick with him if I were Marc Crawford.
* Is there anything the coaching staff can do at this point? What would you change?