Sunday, October 17, 2010
By Mark Stepneski
Dallas Stars at Tampa Bay Lightning
Monday October 18
TV: Fox Sports Southwest
About the Stars
The Stars (4-0-0) won their fourth straight game to open the season, beating the St. Louis Blues 3-2 in a shootout in Dallas Saturday night. The Stars overcame an early 2-0 deficit in the game. Goaltender Kari Lehtonen made 41 saves for the Stars, who were outshot 43-25.
“He was very good tonight,” Stars coach Marc Crawford said of his goaltender. “He was terrific. H gave us an opportunity to win and he was superb all night long.”
The Stars Sunday assigned forward Fabian Brunnstrom to the Texas Stars of the AHL. Center Aaron Gagnon was recalled from Texas and is expected to play Monday.
Injuries: C Jamie Benn (concussion-like symptoms) is day-to-day.
About the Lightning
Tampa Bay (3-1-0) lost its first game of the season, falling 6-0 to Florida in the Panthers home opener Saturday night.
"They had all the emotions they needed. For us, it was just the opposite,” Lightning coach Guy Boucher said. “Our goaltenders have been great up until now but they were like the rest of the team tonight. They were just off."
Dan Ellis got the start, but last over just 15 minutes after giving up 3 goals on 15 shots. Mike Smith played the rest of the way and stopped 20 of 23 shots.
Injuries: F Vincent Lecavalier (hand) is questionable. D Mattias Ohlund (knee) is day-to-day.
- This is the first and only meeting of the season between the two teams.
- The Stars won last season’s meeting, 4-3 in Dallas.
- The Stars are 11-2-2 all-time at Tampa Bay.
- The Stars are 4-0-0 for the first time since 2006-07, when they went 5-0-0 to start the season.
- The Stars have been outshot 146-90 in their first four games.
- Stars center Brad Richards has opened the season with a four-game points streak (2 goals, 7 assists).
- The Stars have given up at least one power play goal in each of their four games this season.
- Tampa Bay is 0-8 on the power play over the last two games.