Sunday, October 31, 2010
October by the numbers
By Mark Stepneski
The month of October is in the books for the Dallas Stars and NHL since there were no games scheduled for Sunday. Here’s a look at some of the numbers in the first month of the season for the Stars, who went 6-4-0 in October.
* Their .600 points percentage is tied for 10th best in the NHL and 6th in the Western Conference.
* Through ten games last season the Stars were 4-2-4 for 12 points and a .600 points percentage.
* In their first 10 games the Stars have put together a four-game winning streak and gone through a three-game losing streak. The winning streak was tied for the longest in the league during the month.
* The Stars are 2-3-0 in games when they outshot their opponent and 4-1-0 in games where they were outshot by the opposition.
* The Stars lead the league in road scoring at 4.00 goals per game. At home the Stars are averaging 2.33 goals per game.
* The Stars have outscored their opposition 20-12 in 5-on-5 play for a ratio of 1.67, which ranks 3rd best in the league.
* The Stars rank 3rd in the league with a 10.8 team shooting percentage.
* The Stars are tied for 9th in the league with a 91.7 team save percentage.
* The Stars’ power play is 19th in the league at 14.0 percent.
* The Stars’ penalty kill is 30th in the league at 68.4 percent.
* The Stars were shorthanded 3.8 times per game, which is tied for sixth lowest in the league.
* The Stars have been outscored 13-8 in special teams play, including shorthanded goals for and against. The Stars have scored 6 power play goals and 2 shorthanded goals, while allowing 12 power play goals and 1 shorthanded goal.
* The Stars won 51.1 percent of their faceoffs, which is 11th best in the league. They were 26th last season at 48.1 percent.
Individual player notes
Here are some individual player notes from the first month of the season.
* Brad Richards is tied for 1st in the league in assists (11) and ranks 7th in the league in points (14).
* Brenden Morrow is tied for 8th in the league with 6 goals and is tied for 5th in the NHL with 4 road goals.
* Loui Eriksson ranks 7th in the league in shooting percentage at 26.3 (5 goals on 19 shots).
* Stephane Robidas leads the NHL with a plus-10 rating and he has a league-best plus-8 rating on the road.
* Besides Robidas, the Stars have three other players in the top 30 in plus/minus. Eriksson is tied for 4th with a plus-eight, Richards is tied for 8th with a plus-7 and Karlis Skrastins is tied for 17th with a plus-6.
* Kari Lehtonen is tied for 7th in the league in wins (5), ranks 26th in goals against average (2.93) and 23rd in save percentage (.908).
* Andrew Raycroft has stopped all 42 shots he has faced and has a 75:08 scoreless streak after two appearances this season.
* Steve Ott ranks fourth in the league in faceoff winning percentage at 63.1 percent. He’s won 65 of 103 faceoffs.
* Mike Ribeiro has won 54.3 percent of his faceoffs (88-162), which ranks 29th in the league.
* Trevor Daley ranks 13th in the league at 18:27 of even strength ice time per game.
* Richards ranks 9th in the league at 5:44 of power play ice time per game.
* James Neal leads the league in takeaways with 20.