Monday, November 1, 2010
Texas Stars/Idaho Steelheads report
By Mark Stepneski
The past week
The Texas Stars played five games in a six-day span over the past week and managed to go 3-2-0. It finished a stretch where they played seven games in ten days and went 4-3-0. The Stars are now 6-4-0 on the season.
Last week’s play started off in Cedar Park, where the Stars defeated Peoria 3-0 on Tuesday behind a 38-save shutout by Richard Bachman, who was making his first start of the season. “The guys were great in front of me, clearing rebounds, blocking shots, and let me settle into the game," Bachman told the Austin American Statesman. "They picked up sticks and let me see shots.” Travis Morin was among the goal scorers for Texas.
On Wednesday the Stars hit the road and defeated Rockford 4-3 in a shootout. Mathieu Tousignant scored the winner in the 9th round of the skills competition. Brent Krahn stopped 28 shots in the game and 7 of 9 in the shootout. Aaron Gagnon, Maxime Fortunus and Tristan King scored in regulation. It was King’s first professional goal.
The Stars won their third straight game, winning 4-3 at Chicago on Thursday. Fabian Brunnstrom scored the game-winner at 1:08 of the third period for Texas. Richard Bachman stopped 40 of 43 shots for his second win of the season. King, Tousignant and Fortunus also scored for Texas.
The Stars returned home Saturday and loss 3-1 to Houston. Brunnstrom scored the lone goal for Texas and Bachman stopped 14 of 17 shots in taking his first loss of the season.
In Houston on Sunday, the Stars lost 4-2. Tousignant and Francis Wathier scored the goals and Bachman stopped 24 shots in falling to 2-2-0 on the season.
The Stars don’t play again until the weekend, when the play games on Friday and Saturday.
The week ahead
Friday November 5, at Oklahoma City
Saturday November 6, vs. Toronto
- Texas is ranked 10th in the AHL in scoring at 2.60 goals per game.
- The Stars are ranked 18th in goals against at 2.70 goals per game.
- Texas is 3-32 on the power play over its last seven games and is ranked 21st in the league at 12.8 percent (6-47).
- The Stars are ranked 20th in penalty killing at 81.1 percent (30-37).
- D Severin Blindenbacher has missed seven games with concussion-like symptoms following a minor car accident in Austin
- RW Ray Sawada has missed nine games with an undisclosed injury
- G Brent Krahn missed time due to what was said be illness
- 10/31: D Guillaume Monast was assigned to Idaho (ECHL)
- 10/31: G Joel Paprocki added to roster
- 10/29: D Philip Larsen assigned to Texas by Dallas (NHL)
- 10/27: D Guillaume Monast recalled to Texas from Idaho (ECHL)
- 10/27: D Philip Larsen recalled by Dallas (NHL)
The Idaho Steelheads went 1-1-1 over the past week in a three-game set against the Utah Grizzlies in Boise. The Steelheads are 2-2-2-1 on the season.
Tyler Beskorowany got all three starts for the Steelheads and stopped 85 of 91 shots. He is now 2-2-2 on the season with a 2.49 goals against average and a .923 save percentage. He ranks 7th in the ECHL in save percentage and 12th in goals against average.
Idaho plays at Victoria on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday this week.
Here are the statistics for the Texas Stars and Dallas players in Idaho.