Monday, November 22, 2010
Texas Stars/Idaho Steelheads Report
By Mark Stepneski
The past week
The Texas Stars won three of four games this past week to improve to 10-7-0-0 on the season. The Stars are sixth in the West Division based on points and fifth based on points percentage.
The Stars opened the week Wednesday at Cedar Park Center with an 8-2 rout of Chicago, in which the team set some franchise marks. The eight goals were a franchise marks as were the five power play goals the team scored and the six goals the tallied in the second period. Seven different players scored goals, including Tomas Vincour who scored his first two goals of the season. Fabian Brunnstrom had three assists. Richard Bachman had 26 saves.
The Stars made it two victories in a row with a 2-1 shootout win at Oklahoma City on Friday. Bachman made 35 saves in regulation and overtime and stopped four of five in the shootout. Travis Morin scored in regulation and Vincour and Aaron Gagnon tallied in the shootout.
Bachman stopped 26 shots to post his second shutout of the season on Saturday as the Stars beat Milwaukee 2-0 in Cedar Park for their third straight win. Ray Sawada and Greg Rallo scored the goals.
The Stars’ winning streak came to an end Sunday in Houston as the Aeros scored late to snap a 2-2 tie and went on to win 4-2. Tyler Beskorowany, called up due to an injury to Brent Krahn, made his AHL debut and stopped 27 of 30 shots. Defenseman Severin Blindenbacher picked up his first goal of the season.
The Stars open a seven-game homestand this week, staring with a game Wednesday against Houston.
The week ahead
Wednesday November 24, vs. Houston
Friday November 26, vs. Milwaukee
Saturday November 27, vs. San Antonio
- G Richard Bachman was named the AHL’s Player of the Week after going 3-0-0 with a 0.97 goals against average and .967 save percentage (87 saves on 90 shots) over the past week.
- Bachman is 5-2-0 on the season with a 1.91 goals against average, a .937 save percentage and two shutouts. He ranks 6th in the AHL in goals against average, 5th in save percentage and is tied for 2nd in shutouts.
- Texas, which has allowed just nine goals over the last five games, ranks 6th in the AHL in goals against at 2.59 goals per game.
- G Brent Krahn is day-to-day with a lower body injury.
- 11/21: RW Sean Backman assigned to Texas from Idaho (ECHL)
- 11/21: C Tristan King assigned to Idaho (ECHL) from Texas
- 11/18: G Tyler Beskorowany assigned to Texas from Idaho (ECHL)
- 11/17: G Adrien LeMay returned to Allen (CHL)
- 11/15: G Adrien LeMay recalled from Allen (CHL)
Idaho played two games against the Stockton Thunder this past week, both of them went to a shootout and the Steelheads won one and lost one. Idaho is now 6-4-2-3 in the Mountain Division based on points and third based on points percentage. The Steelheads play at Victoria this week.
Here are the statistics for the Texas Stars and Dallas players in Idaho.