Tuesday, December 14, 2010
Dallas Stars Prospects: Notes and Stats
By Mark Stepneski
Stars prospect Reilly Smith was among the first wave of cuts at Canada’s World Junior selection camp. Nine players were cut Tuesday and final cuts will be made Wednesday, when the final 22-man roster is expected to be announced.
“It’s a little tough, but I’ll try to use this as a learning experience,” Smith, a sophomore at Miami University, told the National Post. “There are a lot of great hockey players here so it’s tough to hang your head, but … just will try to bounce back and make sure it doesn’t affect my play for the rest of the year. It was definitely a transition coming from college hockey. … It’s a different style of play, but not overly too bad, it’s just tough to see it end this way.”
Smith will now return to Miami, where he has 12 goals, 10 assists and a plus-13 rating in 17 games so far this season.
Here are some notes and the latest statistics on Dallas Stars prospects playing in juniors, college and Europe.
- G Jack Campbell (Windsor/OHL) went 3-0-0 last week. Campbell has now won 10 of his last 14 decisions. Campbell will be heading to Team USA World Junior camp later this week.
- D John Klingberg scored a goal in an intrasquad scrimmage at Sweden’s World Junior camp on Tuesday. Klingberg is vying for a spot on Sweden’s roster for the World Junior Championship, which gets underway in Buffalo on December 26. There is one more scrimmage at the camp and that is Wednesday.
- D Patrik Nemeth has not appeared in the first two scrimmages at Sweden’s World Junior camp. He suffered a knee injury in a Swedish Elite League game just prior to the camp, putting his status for the World Juniors in doubt.
- RW Alex Chiasson (Boston University) ranks eighth in Hockey East scoring with 18 points (6 goals, 12 assists) in 16 games. Chiasson had one goal and two assists in a 5-4 win over Northeastern this past weekend.
- D Mike Bergin (RPI) ranks fourth among ECAC defensemen in scoring with 9 points (2 goals, 7 assists) in 16 games. Bergin picked up an assist in RPI’s 4-1 win over Chiasson and Boston University over the weekend.
- F Alex Guptill (Waterloo/USHL) is getting closer to returning from an undisclosed injury. He is currently listed as day-to-day.