Sunday, December 19, 2010
Stars-Red Wings Preview
By Mark Stepneski
Dallas Stars at Detroit Red Wings
Sunday December 19
TV: Fox Sports Southwest
About the Stars
The Stars (19-10-3) won 2-1 at Columbus Saturday night to improve to 9-2-2 over their last 13 games. Kari Lehtonen stopped 35 of 36 shots and Brad Richards scored both goals for the Stars, who pulled to within two points of Detroit for first overall in the Western Conference.
"We didn't have our best period in the first. I thought they were really good and they came after us,” said Stars coach Marc Crawford. “I thought as a team, we played better in the second, and I thought our best period was the third. We had many guys that rose to the occasion.”
The Stars won for the fifth time in their last eight road games (5-2-1).
Andrew Raycroft is expected to start in goal.
Injuries: No major injuries
About the Red Wings
The Red Wings (20-8-3) are coming off a 4-1 loss at Chicago on Friday. The Red Wings are now 3-4-1 in their last eight games overall.
“They played harder than we did for longer. We didn't have enough guys on deck,” Detroit coach Mike Babcock said. "Especially with their guys injured, they were more desperate and looked more desperate."
Chris Osgood will start Sunday’s game. He will going for his 400th career win.
Injuries: C Mike Modano (wrist) is out.
- This is the second of four meetings between the two teams.
- The Stars are 1-0-0 in the series and Detroit is 0-1-0.
- Thursday October 14 |at Dallas| Dallas 4, Detroit 1
- During the Stars’ 9-2-2 run, eight of their wins have been by one goal.
- The Stars are 13-2-3 in games decided by one goal this season. The 13 wins lead the NHL.
- The Stars are 5-2-1 in their last eight road games.
- The Stars have scored on the power play in their last four games and are 5-18 during that stretch.
- The Red Wings have given up one power play goal in each of the last four games and are 7-11 on the penalty kill during that stretch.
- The Stars are 42-47 (89.4%) on the penalty kill over their last 14 games.
- The Stars have a record of 7-2-0 against the Red Wings since the start of the 2008-09 season.
- Chris Osgood is 28-12-3 all-time against the Stars.