The numbers, including some key defensive metrics, show why Machado earned the award. His UZR (Ultimate Zone Rating) led all AL third baseman (31.8). He led all AL fielders in defensive WAR (wins above replacement), DRS (defensive runs saved), total zone rating and range factor. He was at or near the top in some of the traditional categories too, like fielding percentage.
Beltre lagged behind Machado and the other finalist, Evan Longoria, in some of those key defensive statistics. And this year, for the first time, the Gold Glove Award wasn't simply the voting of managers and coaches. They accounted for about 75 percent of the total. The other 25 percent or so was from SABR, a group of defensive metric experts designed to incorporate sabermetrics into determining the Gold Glove winner.
Beltre has five Gold Gloves on his resume, including two as a member of the Rangers. He continues to show why he's one of the best third baseman in the big leagues and is coming off another solid offensive season as well. Beltre finished fourth in the AL in batting at .315 and led the Rangers in the key offensive categories, including homers (30), RBIs (92) and OBP (.371).