SURPRISE, Ariz. -- Second baseman Ian Kinsler (right high ankle sprain) hit off a tee on Monday and is continuing to progress. He still has not put any pressure on his ankle in terms of running, but is still targeting for a Monday return to game action.
"I'm trying to keep a bat in my hands as much as possible," Kinsler said. "It's just a matter of getting the timing down. The key is seeing as many off-speed pitches as I can. So that's what I'm hoping to do."
Other injury notes:
* Catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia (spasms in muscle that goes from neck to the back on his left side) said he felt "a lot better" when he woke up Wednesday and wants to DH in a game on Thursday. The club hasn't decided if that's the plan, but Saltalamacchia said he'd like to swing the bat Thursday and then catch on Friday.
* OF Josh Hamilton (infected root canal) did not have a fun last few days. After the "B" game on Monday, Hamilton headed to the airport in severe pain. He called his dentist and was told not to fly back to Arlington, but instead to go see an oral surgeon in Arizona. That surgeon irrigated the infection and Hamilton rested on Tuesday (the off day for the team).
"I feel much better today," Hamilton said. "Don't I look better?"
He certainly did, with very little swelling in his mouth. He's in the lineup today.
* RHP Darren O'Day (bone bruise) thinks he might have slightly hyperextended his elbow, which could have caused the soreness. But he says there's no structural damage and he feels better. He's supposed to throw off flat ground and if all goes well, could get back on a mound in the next few days. Right now, he's tentatively scheduled to pitch in a minor league game on Thursday.
* RHP Tommy Hunter (strained oblique muscle) is a little frustrated. He thought his soreness would have dissipated by now, but it hasn't. The club says he's still two to three weeks away. He is riding the treadmill and reading a book ("The Shack"). He hasn't picked up a baseball since last Thursday.
* C Toby Hall (shoulder) is throwing to bases, but the club still thinks May 1 is the target date for him to be fully ready to play in games.
* OF Endy Chavez (knee) is running straight ahead at 50 percent and making progress.
* RHP Eric Hurley (wrist) is scheduled to see a hand specialist on Monday. If all goes well, he should be cleared to throw.