Murphy, who spent much of his time getting in the lineup against lefties, gets a shot at some right-handers coming up. Manager Ron Washington said he'll go with an outfield rotation based mainly on whether there's a lefty or righty on the mound. That means Murphy would hit against righties when he can and Washington could choose to play Guerrero in right and put Ryan Garko at first base against lefties.
"We've got some tough righties coming up, too," Murphy said. "I'm not going to change my approach. I prepare every day to play and I'll continue to do that. Sure, I want to play more. But no team wants to lose it's top offensive producer, so we hope Nelson is back as soon as he's ready."
Murphy is hitting .267 against right-handers this season with a homer and six RBIs.
* The Rangers worked on some bunts today with various players that would see action at the bottom of the order. Washington said he's pleased with how the club has bunted so far this season. "But I don't want anyone taking it for granted," Washington said. "It's an important part of the game." Washington said Matt Treanor is the best bunter of the group. "He's a thoroughbred among guys trying to become thoroughbreds," Washington said.
The Rangers have rye grass in the infield right now and it's thick, cutting down on the roll of the ball. That grass will probably die around early June and the club will replace with either bermuda or zoysia grass.
* Catcher Matt Treanor got three RBIs off Mark Buehrle last night and got his autograph today. Treanor's wife, volleyball player Misty May-Treanor, is a White Sox fan and kept a Wheaties box for a year with Buehrle on the cover.
Treanor chuckled when told of Buehrle's comment last night when someone asked him what he knew about Treanor before Tuesday's game.
"I knew his wife played volleyball," Buehrle said.
Treanor said he wanted to get the autograph in spring training, but he was switching teams and dealing with preparations for the season.
"She really wanted this done because she overnighted this to me," Treanor said, sporting the unopened Wheaties box.
* Texas still must decide what to do about a roster move when Ian Kinsler returns. Washington said it's still under discussion and they are going over options. Those would likely include optioning either Joaquin Arias (who has hit the ball well this season) or Andres Blanco (who can play defense and shortstop). One possibility could be to keep both Arias and Blanco (neither of which would likely clear waivers) and option Ryan Garko. That would leave them a little short at first, though Max Ramirez could do it if needed.
* Washington said that if he needs three outs for a save tonight, he would choose based on the opposing lineup. Neftali Feliz is available tonight. Frank Francisco got the save last night. Darren Oliver could certainly close if needed, especially if some lefties are due up.
* Darren O'Day (sore back) said he feels better. It's possible he could be available for tonight's game.
* Joaquin Arias (sore back) is in the lineup and feels fine.