Vernon Wells leads Jays past Rangers
Maybe it's because he's from Arlington, but the Rangers have been far too generous to Vernon Wells.
The Blue Jays' center fielder homered twice in an 8-5 win over the Rangers on Tuesday and now has eight home runs in eight games this season against his hometown team. The Arlington Bowie High School product has 27 home runs on the year.
Wells' solo homer off starter Scott Feldman tied the score at 2-2 in the fourth after Vladimir Guerrero's two-run blast had given the Rangers a short-lived lead in the top half off the inning.
Wells added another solo shot in the seventh off Darren O'Day to extend Toronto's lead to 7-3.
* The Rangers' lead over Oakland, which played late against Seattle, fell to 6.5 games. (UPDATE: The Mariners beat the A's, so the Rangers' lead is seven games). The Rangers have lost five in a row and have been outscored, 37-19, during the skid.
* The Rangers' 2-1 lead after 4 1/2 innings was their first since they were ahead of the Twins, 3-2, after 6 1/2 innings on Friday. That lead was also brief, as the Twins scored twice in the bottom of the seventh en route to the 4-3 win that started the Rangers on their current losing streak.
* The Rangers trailed, 8-3, entering the ninth inning but managed to bring the potential tying run to the plate. With one out, Andres Blanco singled home two runs to make it 8-5. Julio Borbon singled to bring up Ian Kinsler with two men on, and the Jays brought in closer Kevin Gregg.
Kinsler grounded into a fielder's choice, and Michael Young flew out to Wells in center field to end it.
* Since Texas edged Toronto, 5-4, in the season opener, the Blue Jays have taken seven in a row from the Rangers. The season series comes to a merciful end with games the next two days in Toronto.
The Jays have outscored the Rangers by an astounding 56-29 in eight games this year.
* Blanco continued to be a bright spot for the Rangers. He went 2-for-4 with three RBIs and has nine RBIs in the last 10 games he's played. He's hitting .457 (16-for-35) in that span.
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast Rangers GM Jon Daniels joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to tackle the tough questions after his team failed to advance to the playoffs.
Play Podcast Nolan Ryan joins Galloway and Company to discuss having Nelson Cruz back in the lineup and how the Rangers are feeling heading into their wild-card play-in game against the Rays.
Play Podcast ESPN Insider and senior MLB analyst Jim Bowden joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to discuss the wild-card race and the Rangers' chances of making the playoffs.
Play Podcast Chuck Cooperstein joins Ian Fitzsimmons and Tim MacMahon to discuss why he feels Rangers pitcher Yu Darvish isn't an ace.
Play Podcast Elvis Andrus joins Galloway and Company to discuss the Rangers' stretch run and the morale level in their clubhouse.
Play Podcast Nolan Ryan joins Galloway and Company to discuss the latest Rangers news, including the team's struggles, Ron Washington's job security and a rumored trade with the Braves.
Play Podcast Ron Washington joins Ian Fitzsimmons and Tim MacMahon to discuss the Rangers' dismal September, who's to blame for their September struggles and his status as the team's manager.
Play Podcast Fitzsimmons and Durrett discuss how some people are calling for the Rangers to fire manager Ron Washington.