Notes: Outfield, more arrivals, golf
* Washington reiterated that his starting outfield headed into camp is Josh Hamilton in left, Julio Borbon in center and Nelson Cruz in right. "We want to give Borbon a chance to win the center field job again," Washington said. The idea is to take "some of the stress" off Hamilton in the outfield and utilize Borbon's speed.
* Washington said David Murphy will get his at-bats and is an important part of that outfield. Mitch Moreland will also get some time in the outfield.
* Esteban German arrived for camp, ready to continue a productive offseason. He was pleased with the work he got done in the Dominican Republic this winter (he played winter ball there) and wants to apply those lessons in spring training. "I feel good and I'm ready to do whatever the team needs," German said. He gave Elvis Andrus a claw and the two hugged as he walked in.
* Borbon and Murphy are expected in camp today. Murphy's wife is pregnant and due any time, so his schedule could change.
* Music was blaring for the first time during spring training thanks to Andrus, who had some tunes on his phone that he shared with the rest of his teammates. It was more lively place today, for sure.
* Brandon Webb said the soreness was gone and he was planning on pushing things a little in long toss today. He remains on schedule to throw off a mound again Sunday.
* Mark Lowe took a large group of players and coaches out to a golf club where he's a member on Friday. Among the players were Arthur Rhodes, Tommy Hunter, Mason Tobin, Darren O'Day and Eric Hurley.
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast Rangers GM Jon Daniels joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to tackle the tough questions after his team failed to advance to the playoffs.
Play Podcast Nolan Ryan joins Galloway and Company to discuss having Nelson Cruz back in the lineup and how the Rangers are feeling heading into their wild-card play-in game against the Rays.
Play Podcast ESPN Insider and senior MLB analyst Jim Bowden joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to discuss the wild-card race and the Rangers' chances of making the playoffs.
Play Podcast Chuck Cooperstein joins Ian Fitzsimmons and Tim MacMahon to discuss why he feels Rangers pitcher Yu Darvish isn't an ace.
Play Podcast Elvis Andrus joins Galloway and Company to discuss the Rangers' stretch run and the morale level in their clubhouse.
Play Podcast Nolan Ryan joins Galloway and Company to discuss the latest Rangers news, including the team's struggles, Ron Washington's job security and a rumored trade with the Braves.
Play Podcast Ron Washington joins Ian Fitzsimmons and Tim MacMahon to discuss the Rangers' dismal September, who's to blame for their September struggles and his status as the team's manager.
Play Podcast Fitzsimmons and Durrett discuss how some people are calling for the Rangers to fire manager Ron Washington.