SURPRISE, Ariz. -- Sunday was the first day of full squad workouts for the Rangers. Here's a recap of the day:
1. Michael Young addressed the team in the club's annual meeting before the first day of workouts and said he didn't want his offseason to be a distraction. He said his focus was preparing for the 2011 season.
2. Brandon Webb did not throw off a mound as schedule and may not be ready for the start of the season. Rangers pitching coach Mike Maddux said he doesn't want Webb throwing off a mound until his arm is fully strengthened. So he'll continue to go through long toss. Webb stressed that he feels good and that the club is simply being cautious. The Rangers don't want Webb to get in the rotation and then have a setback.
"It's a variable in our schedule," Maddux said. "Spring training works backwards from Opening Day. If you stay on schedule, you kind of build up for Opening Day. But it may, it may. He might be late. We've also had guys who started off a week late and threw them in the fifth starter spot with a day off and they don't miss a beat."
3. Young got some pointers at first base as he begins his work on learning that new spot. He said he plans on getting some early work in at first base on Monday. Young also took grounders at second base, which he believes is his most natural position.
4. David Murphy arrived at camp and vowed to do what he could to force his way into the lineup (more on that on the blog Monday morning). Julio Borbon said he will continue to work on improving his defense, something that outfield coach Gary Pettis said got better and better as the 2010 season progressed.
5. Mark Lowe said he's healthy and ready to do whatever is needed in the bullpen. He's confident his velocity will be fine and he was pleased with the work he did on his shoulder during the offseason. Yoshinori Tateyama is making the adjustment to pitching in the U.S. and has enjoyed watching the Rangers put on a show in batting practice.
6. Derek Holland has become an advocate for no texting while driving after the death of one of his friends in a car accident.
A reminder that you can see some video and get updates via twitter @espn_durrett