The Rangers have a four-game lead in the AL West heading into their four-game road series with the second-place Angels, who lost 5-4 in 10 innings to Toronto on Sunday.
Neftali Feliz closed out the A's in the ninth for his 23rd save, and Mike Adams got the win, his first with the Rangers.
- Darren Oliver allowed an RBI single to Hideki Matsui in relief of starter Matt Harrison in the sixth that tied the score. Oliver has allowed his last five inherited runners to score. Oakland was down at the start of the fifth inning, 6-0.
- Harrison escaped a bases-loaded jam in the bottom of the third. He was aided by a perfect throw home from Josh Hamilton, who caught Hideki Matsui's fly ball and threw a strike to Mike Napoli that kept the A's runners on base.
- The Rangers touched former temammate Rich Harden for three runs in the first. The A's starter hit leadoff batter Ian Kinsler in the elbow area, and Josh Hamilton followed with a single to right. Kinsler kept running and wound up at third base. He would score on a wild pitch. Harden walked Mike Napoli with the bases loaded. Mitch Moreland followed with a sacrifice fly the Rangers' three runs. Harden threw 38 pitches in the inning.
- Texas loaded the bases with no outs in the fourth but could only score one run, when Harden walked Michael Young with two outs. It gave the Rangers a 4-0 lead. But in the fifth, the Rangers added two unearned runs when David DeJesus dropped a routine fly ball by Ian Kinsler with two outs. Mike Napoli and David Murphy scored to give the Rangers a 6-0 advantage.
- Ian Kinsler would return the favor in the bottom of the fifth. He was playing back near the edge of the infield when Hideki Matsui's grounder went through his legs with two on and two out.
- Young's hitting streak ended at 12 games, although he walked twice, had an RBI and scored a run.
- Elvis Andrus committed his 23rd error of the season on a tough play. He fielded Coco Crisp's slow grounder and drew Moreland off the bag in the third inning. Andrus was 1-for-5 and has hit safely in 16 of his last 17 games.
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast Rangers GM Jon Daniels joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to tackle the tough questions after his team failed to advance to the playoffs.
Play Podcast Nolan Ryan joins Galloway and Company to discuss having Nelson Cruz back in the lineup and how the Rangers are feeling heading into their wild-card play-in game against the Rays.
Play Podcast ESPN Insider and senior MLB analyst Jim Bowden joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to discuss the wild-card race and the Rangers' chances of making the playoffs.
Play Podcast Chuck Cooperstein joins Ian Fitzsimmons and Tim MacMahon to discuss why he feels Rangers pitcher Yu Darvish isn't an ace.
Play Podcast Elvis Andrus joins Galloway and Company to discuss the Rangers' stretch run and the morale level in their clubhouse.
Play Podcast Nolan Ryan joins Galloway and Company to discuss the latest Rangers news, including the team's struggles, Ron Washington's job security and a rumored trade with the Braves.
Play Podcast Ron Washington joins Ian Fitzsimmons and Tim MacMahon to discuss the Rangers' dismal September, who's to blame for their September struggles and his status as the team's manager.
Play Podcast Fitzsimmons and Durrett discuss how some people are calling for the Rangers to fire manager Ron Washington.