Surprise Six: Rangers lose spring opener
March, 4, 2012
By Richard Durrett | ESPNDallas.com
SURPRISE, Ariz. -- The Texas Rangers and Kansas City Royals kicked off their Cactus League seasons in front of 7,158 fans. That's a record for the first day of spring training in Surprise. Here are six things from Sunday:
1. Mitch Moreland hit a home run as the Rangers lost 6-1 to the Royals. The homer is a good sign for Moreland, who had surgery on his right wrist this offseason. He made a good swing and punched the ball out. Read about Moreland and others who made a mark in the first spring game.
2. Michael Kirkman's line didn't look great, but he made some good pitches to left-handed hitters and likes the approach he's taking.
3. Rangers manager Ron Washington said the club won't hide Yu Darvish from any AL teams.
4. Matt West says he's ready to start rehab on the sprained ligament in his elbow. Click here for that and all the injury updates.
5. Julio Borbon is one of the center field candidates and he hopes his play at winter ball and a relaxed attitude will help him perform better.
6. LHP Mike Gonzalez declined a non-roster offer from the Rangers and here's some video of Matt Harrison and what he thinks heading into 2012.