Surprise Six: Perez makes his first start
1. Martin Perez was nervous in his first Cactus League start, but felt he did pretty good. One of the Rangers' top prospects allowed two runs off three hits.
2. Michael Young made his way back into the lineup Friday. He went 1-for-2 at the plate.
3. Manager Ron Washington said outfielder Craig Gentry has improved his bunting this spring, but he hasn't had a chance to show it.
4. Pitching coach Mike Maddux held a closed meeting with Yu Darvish and the rest of the pitchers Friday morning. Darvish and some of the pitchers went to Field 7 after the meeting, where they took part in a competitive game to work on their fielding.
5. Pitcher Joe Nathan was happy with his outing Thursday. Jerry Crasnick was told Nathan's fastball topped out at 94 mph on the ballpark radar gun.
6. Outfielder Conor Jackson left Friday's game in the sixth inning. He was hit above his eye by a fly ball and needed five stitches.
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast Rangers GM Jon Daniels joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to tackle the tough questions after his team failed to advance to the playoffs.
Play Podcast Nolan Ryan joins Galloway and Company to discuss having Nelson Cruz back in the lineup and how the Rangers are feeling heading into their wild-card play-in game against the Rays.
Play Podcast ESPN Insider and senior MLB analyst Jim Bowden joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to discuss the wild-card race and the Rangers' chances of making the playoffs.
Play Podcast Chuck Cooperstein joins Ian Fitzsimmons and Tim MacMahon to discuss why he feels Rangers pitcher Yu Darvish isn't an ace.
Play Podcast Elvis Andrus joins Galloway and Company to discuss the Rangers' stretch run and the morale level in their clubhouse.
Play Podcast Nolan Ryan joins Galloway and Company to discuss the latest Rangers news, including the team's struggles, Ron Washington's job security and a rumored trade with the Braves.
Play Podcast Ron Washington joins Ian Fitzsimmons and Tim MacMahon to discuss the Rangers' dismal September, who's to blame for their September struggles and his status as the team's manager.
Play Podcast Fitzsimmons and Durrett discuss how some people are calling for the Rangers to fire manager Ron Washington.