Surprise Six: Perez makes his first start
1. Martin Perez was nervous in his first Cactus League start, but felt he did pretty good. One of the Rangers' top prospects allowed two runs off three hits.
2. Michael Young made his way back into the lineup Friday. He went 1-for-2 at the plate.
3. Manager Ron Washington said outfielder Craig Gentry has improved his bunting this spring, but he hasn't had a chance to show it.
4. Pitching coach Mike Maddux held a closed meeting with Yu Darvish and the rest of the pitchers Friday morning. Darvish and some of the pitchers went to Field 7 after the meeting, where they took part in a competitive game to work on their fielding.
5. Pitcher Joe Nathan was happy with his outing Thursday. Jerry Crasnick was told Nathan's fastball topped out at 94 mph on the ballpark radar gun.
6. Outfielder Conor Jackson left Friday's game in the sixth inning. He was hit above his eye by a fly ball and needed five stitches.
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast Rangers shortstop Elvis Andrus joins Galloway & Company to discuss having Scott Boras as his agent, his new contract and having Jurickson Profar in the lineup.
Play Podcast Rangers manager Ron Washington joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett for his weekly visit to discuss Yu Darvish's pitch count and how he spends time in the clubhouse during weather delays.
Play Podcast Nolan Ryan joins Galloway & Company for his weekly visit to discuss the latest Rangers news.
Play Podcast Reid Ryan joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss his new position with the Houston Astros and whether he could see his dad, Nolan, joining him there in the future.
Play Podcast ESPN MLB Insider Jayson Stark joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss if the Rangers are the best team in baseball, what makes them so good and if he thinks the team will trade Jurickson Profar.
Play Podcast Jim Bowden joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss Ron Washington's decision to send Yu Darvish to the mound for the eighth inning Thursday night and how he would handle a situation like that if he were still a GM.
Play Podcast Randy Galloway, Matt Mosley and Glenn "Stretch" Smith discuss the latest Rangers news, including the Yu Darvish-Justin Verlander matchup.
Play Podcast Nelson Cruz joins Galloway & Company to discuss the Rangers' series in Oakland, his ups and downs at the plate and if the PED talks before the season were a distraction.