Roster moves: Leonys Martin sent to AAA
* Leonys Martin was optioned to Triple-A Round Rock, leaving Craig Gentry and Julio Borbon to fight it out for the center field spot. This isn't a surprise as Martin was expected to start the season in the minors.
"He needs to play and the innings are getting to be few and far between now," manager Ron Washington said. "He's a young kid that needs to play baseball. He's a very impressive kid. He needs to play and continue to develop his skills."
Washington said Martin had a "100 percent turnaround" from where he was when he visited the club a few times last year to work with Washington, outfield coach Gary Pettis and others.
"He's improved every way -- baserunning, instincts, outfield, all of that," Washington said. "He just needs to play. He played half a year in Double-A and Triple-A and had some down time because of injuries. We're running out of time here as far as innings go."
* Greg Miclat, one of the candidates for the utility infield spot, was assigned to minor league camp. That means of the four players vying for that position, two are left: Alberto Gonzalez and Luis Hernandez. Look for them to get playing time in Cactus League games as the team sorts all of that out.
* Mike Olt has been impressive this spring with his defense at third base and consistent approach at the plate. He's now been assigned to minor league camp, where he'll continue to get time at first base as the Rangers try to make him more versatile. Washington said Olt will start the season at Double-A Frisco.
"He's a baseball player," Washington said. "He can play third base. He has good action and tremendous raw power, but he hasn't played a whole lot of baseball. He's a very solid defensive player and has impressed us with his bat."
* OF Engel Beltre was optioned to Double-A Frisco.
* C Chris Robinson and LHP Ben Snyder were also assigned to minor league camp.
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast Reid Ryan joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss his new position with the Houston Astros and whether he could see his dad, Nolan, joining him there in the future.
Play Podcast ESPN MLB Insider Jayson Stark joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss if the Rangers are the best team in baseball, what makes them so good and if he thinks the team will trade Jurickson Profar.
Play Podcast Jim Bowden joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss Ron Washington's decision to send Yu Darvish to the mound for the eighth inning Thursday night and how he would handle a situation like that if he were still a GM.
Play Podcast Randy Galloway, Matt Mosley and Glenn "Stretch" Smith discuss the latest Rangers news, including the Yu Darvish-Justin Verlander matchup.
Play Podcast Nelson Cruz joins Galloway & Company to discuss the Rangers' series in Oakland, his ups and downs at the plate and if the PED talks before the season were a distraction.
Play Podcast Rangers manager Ron Washington joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett live from Oakland for his weekly visit.
Play Podcast Nolan Ryan joins Galloway & Company to discuss his role with the Rangers. Ryan says that he has not been in contact with the Astros about a possible opening and he doesn't think that he would be interested anyway.
Play Podcast Jim Bowden joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett for his weekly visit and wastes no time sounding off on MLB umpire Angel Hernandez.