W2W4: Yu Darvish facts and figures
|Rangers president Nolan Ryan on his expectations for Yu Darvish's MLB debut, the new 2-foot hot dogs and more.
* Darvish is scheduled to make his major league debut at 25 years, 236 days old. He'll be the second-youngest Japanese native ever to make his big league debut. Only Boston’s Tomo Ohka (23.123 on July 19, 1999 vs. Florida) had an earlier debut.
* He'll be the sixth native of Japan ever to appear in a major league game with the Rangers, joining five other RHPs: Hideki Irabu (2002), Akinori Otsuka (2006-07), Kazuo Fukumori (2008), Yoshinori Tateyama (2011) and Koji Uehara (2011).
* Darvish has pitched in big games worldwide. He pitched for Gold Medal-winning Japan teams in the 2009 World Baseball Classic and the 2007 Asian Baseball Championship, and also appeared for his country in the 2008 Beijing Olympics.
* He was 2-0 with a 2.08 ERA (3 ER/13.0 IP) in 5 games/2 starts for Japan in the 2009 World Baseball Classic, earning the win and recording the last out to secure the championship against Korea. Darvish also ended Japan's semifinal win over the United States.
* Darvish will have a strong lineup behind him, but he's used to good run support. He received four or more runs of support in a start 53 times in Japan and was 49-0 with a 1.94 ERA in those games. With three or more runs of support, he's 53-4 in 59 starts, with only one loss in those games in the last four seasons.
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast Rangers GM Jon Daniels joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to tackle the tough questions after his team failed to advance to the playoffs.
Play Podcast Nolan Ryan joins Galloway and Company to discuss having Nelson Cruz back in the lineup and how the Rangers are feeling heading into their wild-card play-in game against the Rays.
Play Podcast ESPN Insider and senior MLB analyst Jim Bowden joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to discuss the wild-card race and the Rangers' chances of making the playoffs.
Play Podcast Chuck Cooperstein joins Ian Fitzsimmons and Tim MacMahon to discuss why he feels Rangers pitcher Yu Darvish isn't an ace.
Play Podcast Elvis Andrus joins Galloway and Company to discuss the Rangers' stretch run and the morale level in their clubhouse.
Play Podcast Nolan Ryan joins Galloway and Company to discuss the latest Rangers news, including the team's struggles, Ron Washington's job security and a rumored trade with the Braves.
Play Podcast Ron Washington joins Ian Fitzsimmons and Tim MacMahon to discuss the Rangers' dismal September, who's to blame for their September struggles and his status as the team's manager.
Play Podcast Fitzsimmons and Durrett discuss how some people are calling for the Rangers to fire manager Ron Washington.