ESPN Stats & Information analyzed Yu Darvish's sterling performance and came up with how the 25-year-old righthander baffled the New York Yankees:
* Darvish threw 82 of his 119 pitches (68.9 percent) for strikes, well above his 56.8 percent entering Tuesday's start.
* He started 21 of 33 hitters (63.6 percent) with a first-pitch strike. In his first three starts, he threw a first-pitch strike to less than 48 percent of all hitters.
* Thirteen of the 21 balls in play (61.9 percent) against Darvish were hit on the ground, compared with 42.1 percent in his first three starts. Twenty-two of Darvish's 25 outs were either grounders or strikeouts.
* Lefties entered Tuesday hitting .313 against Darvish. The six Yankees lefties in the lineup Tuesday were 4-for-21 with eight strikeouts against Darvish.
* Yankees lefties were 0-for-5 with four strikeouts in at-bats ending with Darvish's curveball.
* Yankees hitters were 1-for-12 with five strikeouts with men on base.
* The Yankees chased 25 Darvish pitches out of the strike zone; opponents had chased an average of 12 in Darvish's first three starts.