Numbers: Josh Hamilton distance, location
BALTIMORE -- All four of Josh Hamilton's home runs and his double during his historic night came on pitches on the outer third of the plate or even a bit outside of that. ESPN Stats & Information analyzed the homers and here's what was found:
* Entering Tuesday, Hamilton had 18 hits on outside pitches with no homers and one double.
Josh Hamilton vs Outside Pitches - This Season
- Before Tuesday: 18-for-51, 0 HR, 1 extra-base hit
- Tuesday: 5-for-5, 4 HR, 5 extra-base hits
* BTW, Hamilton's four home runs had true distances (according to HR tracker) of 404 feet (1st), 387 feet (2nd), 406 feet (3rd), and 425 feet (4th). Prior to Tuesday's game, Hamilton's average home run distance this season was 426.6 feet.
* His 18 total bases is 1,620 feet run around the bases. His four homers totaled for 1,622 feet.
* Hamilton's 14 home runs so far in 2012 are more than half of his 2011 total.
* Hamilton's second homer of the game was his 12th of the season. It was the first of the season that was hit to the opposite field. He had 13 opposite-field homers over the previous three seasons.
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast Jim Bowden joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett for his weekly visit to discuss a hypothetical Jurickson Profar for Cliff Lee trade, how he would handle Profar's playing time with the Rangers and more.
Play Podcast Rangers shortstop Elvis Andrus joins Galloway & Company to discuss having Scott Boras as his agent, his new contract and having Jurickson Profar in the lineup.
Play Podcast Rangers manager Ron Washington joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett for his weekly visit to discuss Yu Darvish's pitch count and how he spends time in the clubhouse during weather delays.
Play Podcast Nolan Ryan joins Galloway & Company for his weekly visit to discuss the latest Rangers news.
Play Podcast Reid Ryan joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss his new position with the Houston Astros and whether he could see his dad, Nolan, joining him there in the future.
Play Podcast ESPN MLB Insider Jayson Stark joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss if the Rangers are the best team in baseball, what makes them so good and if he thinks the team will trade Jurickson Profar.
Play Podcast Jim Bowden joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss Ron Washington's decision to send Yu Darvish to the mound for the eighth inning Thursday night and how he would handle a situation like that if he were still a GM.
Play Podcast Randy Galloway, Matt Mosley and Glenn "Stretch" Smith discuss the latest Rangers news, including the Yu Darvish-Justin Verlander matchup.