Numbers: Josh Hamilton distance, location
BALTIMORE -- All four of Josh Hamilton's home runs and his double during his historic night came on pitches on the outer third of the plate or even a bit outside of that. ESPN Stats & Information analyzed the homers and here's what was found:
* Entering Tuesday, Hamilton had 18 hits on outside pitches with no homers and one double.
Josh Hamilton vs Outside Pitches - This Season
- Before Tuesday: 18-for-51, 0 HR, 1 extra-base hit
- Tuesday: 5-for-5, 4 HR, 5 extra-base hits
* BTW, Hamilton's four home runs had true distances (according to HR tracker) of 404 feet (1st), 387 feet (2nd), 406 feet (3rd), and 425 feet (4th). Prior to Tuesday's game, Hamilton's average home run distance this season was 426.6 feet.
* His 18 total bases is 1,620 feet run around the bases. His four homers totaled for 1,622 feet.
* Hamilton's 14 home runs so far in 2012 are more than half of his 2011 total.
* Hamilton's second homer of the game was his 12th of the season. It was the first of the season that was hit to the opposite field. He had 13 opposite-field homers over the previous three seasons.
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast Rangers GM Jon Daniels joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to tackle the tough questions after his team failed to advance to the playoffs.
Play Podcast Nolan Ryan joins Galloway and Company to discuss having Nelson Cruz back in the lineup and how the Rangers are feeling heading into their wild-card play-in game against the Rays.
Play Podcast ESPN Insider and senior MLB analyst Jim Bowden joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to discuss the wild-card race and the Rangers' chances of making the playoffs.
Play Podcast Chuck Cooperstein joins Ian Fitzsimmons and Tim MacMahon to discuss why he feels Rangers pitcher Yu Darvish isn't an ace.
Play Podcast Elvis Andrus joins Galloway and Company to discuss the Rangers' stretch run and the morale level in their clubhouse.
Play Podcast Nolan Ryan joins Galloway and Company to discuss the latest Rangers news, including the team's struggles, Ron Washington's job security and a rumored trade with the Braves.
Play Podcast Ron Washington joins Ian Fitzsimmons and Tim MacMahon to discuss the Rangers' dismal September, who's to blame for their September struggles and his status as the team's manager.
Play Podcast Fitzsimmons and Durrett discuss how some people are calling for the Rangers to fire manager Ron Washington.