Week ahead: Draft and Bay Area
|Is Ron Washington above criticism when he makes a decision? ESPNDallas.com's Tim MacMahon says Jean-Jacques Taylor gives Wash a free pass and never questions him. JJT explains his stance and the guys discuss. |
* Until this latest run by the Angels, the A's were the second-place team in the AL West. But losing nine of the last 10 going into Sunday's action has them fighting with the Mariners for third place.
* Going into Sunday's games, Oakland's starting pitching has a 4.12 ERA, sixth in the AL. The Rangers, BTW, were at 3.94, third in the league. Oakland's bullpen, however, is second in the AL at 2.76 ERA (Rangers are fourth at 2.82).
* The weekend sets up a rematch of the 2010 World Series and the first time, outside of spring training in Arizona, that the two teams have faced each other since that Game 5 in Arlington. San Francisco remains second in the NL West, trying to track down the Los Angeles Dodgers.
* Scott Feldman will get two starts this week as he continues to hold down the spot vacated by Neftali Feliz because of injury. While Feldman pitches, Roy Oswalt continues to stretch out as he hopes to stay on pace for an arrival in the rotation for around June 20.
* Texas was 6-4 at Oakland in 2011 (and 7-2 against the A's at home).
* The last time they played the Giants in the regular season was 2009. The club was swept in a three-game series at AT&T Park.
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast Rangers GM Jon Daniels joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to tackle the tough questions after his team failed to advance to the playoffs.
Play Podcast Nolan Ryan joins Galloway and Company to discuss having Nelson Cruz back in the lineup and how the Rangers are feeling heading into their wild-card play-in game against the Rays.
Play Podcast ESPN Insider and senior MLB analyst Jim Bowden joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to discuss the wild-card race and the Rangers' chances of making the playoffs.
Play Podcast Chuck Cooperstein joins Ian Fitzsimmons and Tim MacMahon to discuss why he feels Rangers pitcher Yu Darvish isn't an ace.
Play Podcast Elvis Andrus joins Galloway and Company to discuss the Rangers' stretch run and the morale level in their clubhouse.
Play Podcast Nolan Ryan joins Galloway and Company to discuss the latest Rangers news, including the team's struggles, Ron Washington's job security and a rumored trade with the Braves.
Play Podcast Ron Washington joins Ian Fitzsimmons and Tim MacMahon to discuss the Rangers' dismal September, who's to blame for their September struggles and his status as the team's manager.
Play Podcast Fitzsimmons and Durrett discuss how some people are calling for the Rangers to fire manager Ron Washington.