W2W4: Rangers vs. Oakland
|Is Ron Washington above criticism when he makes a decision? ESPNDallas.com's Tim MacMahon says Jean-Jacques Taylor gives Wash a free pass and never questions him. JJT explains his stance and the guys discuss. |
* Elvis Andrus. The shortstop bounced back Sunday and played one of his better games of the season, making highlight-reel plays and producing clutch hits. We'll see if it's something he can build on and turn into another extended run of solid play (like he did earlier in the season).
* Opportunity. Texas is catching Oakland as the A's are in the midst of big struggles. Their lineup just can't produce runs. Oakland is 29th in the majors in runs and has been shut out 11 times in its first 54 games. It's the first time a team has been shut out that many times in the first 54 games since the 1954 Pirates and the first AL team to do it since the 1917 (Elias Sports Bureau). Oakland has lost 10 of its last 11 games.
* Josh Reddick. He leads Oakland in basically every offensive category. Reddick is batting .271 with 14 homers and 29 RBIs. To illustrate Oakland's offensive woes, Josh Hamilton just won player of the month for May with 12 homers and 32 RBIs. For the month.
* Adrian Beltre. He's in a bit of a slump the past few games and will try to reverse his fortunes in Oakland this week. Beltre was 0-for-7 with five strikeouts the final two games of the Angels series and 2-for-11 overall.
* Nelson Cruz. He's streaky and that monster home run Sunday was his fourth homer in his last nine games. It's not easy to hit them out in Oakland, but Cruz is certainly crushing mistakes right now.
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast Rangers GM Jon Daniels joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to tackle the tough questions after his team failed to advance to the playoffs.
Play Podcast Nolan Ryan joins Galloway and Company to discuss having Nelson Cruz back in the lineup and how the Rangers are feeling heading into their wild-card play-in game against the Rays.
Play Podcast ESPN Insider and senior MLB analyst Jim Bowden joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to discuss the wild-card race and the Rangers' chances of making the playoffs.
Play Podcast Chuck Cooperstein joins Ian Fitzsimmons and Tim MacMahon to discuss why he feels Rangers pitcher Yu Darvish isn't an ace.
Play Podcast Elvis Andrus joins Galloway and Company to discuss the Rangers' stretch run and the morale level in their clubhouse.
Play Podcast Nolan Ryan joins Galloway and Company to discuss the latest Rangers news, including the team's struggles, Ron Washington's job security and a rumored trade with the Braves.
Play Podcast Ron Washington joins Ian Fitzsimmons and Tim MacMahon to discuss the Rangers' dismal September, who's to blame for their September struggles and his status as the team's manager.
Play Podcast Fitzsimmons and Durrett discuss how some people are calling for the Rangers to fire manager Ron Washington.