Rangers add more OFs, three pitchers
Here is a list of the newest Rangers in the order they were drafted:
- RHP Alec Asher, Polk State College (Florida), 6-foot-4, 220 (fourth round, 156th overall): Asher set a school record for wins with a 13-1 record through 111 innings. He had a team-best 1.38 ERA with 108 strikeouts and just 27 walks. Asher was first-team 2012 All-Suncoast Conference and won the Robert Purkey Jr. Award (most outstanding pitcher of the state tournament) en route to leading his team to an appearance in the NJCAA JUCO World Series. Read more about Asher here.
- OF Preston Beck, UT-Arlington, 6-foot-2, 190 (fifth round, 186th overall): Beck was first team All-Southland Conference in 2012. He also led the conference in home runs (11) and RBIs (60) while batting .337.
- OF Royce Bolinger, Gonzaga, 6-foot-2, 200 (sixth round, 216th overall): Bolinger holds the Gonzaga season record for hits (93). An All-West Coast Conference selection, Bolinger's .392 batting average was the best in the WCC. The righty also had a .620 slugging percentage and hit 11 home runs. Read more here.
- 2B Cam Schiller, Oral Roberts, 6-foot, 195 (seventh round, 246th overall): Schiller is a switch hitter and was a first team All-Summit League selection in 2012.
- RHP Cody Kendall, Fresno State, 6-foot-2, 210 (eighth round, 276th overall): Kendall accumulated a 4.99 ERA through 61 innings. He registered 39 strikeouts. Read more here.
- RHP John Niggli, Liberty University (Virginia), 6-foot-4, 185 (ninth round, 306th overall): Niggli posted a 9-4 record and led his team to an appearance in the Big South Conference title game.
A considerable amount of local talent was also selected in the fourth through ninth rounds, including:
- 2B Alex Yarbrough, Ole Miss by way of Allen HS (Angels, 147th overall)
- LHP Steven Okert, Oklahoma by way of Rowlett HS (Giants, 148th overall)
- OF Chuck Taylor, Mansfield Timberview (D-Backs, 153rd overall)
- LHP Colin Poche, Flower Mound Marcus (Orioles, 162nd overall)
- 1B Max Muncy, Baylor by way of Keller HS (A's, 169th overall)
- RHP Ross Stripling, Texas A&M by way of Southlake Carroll (Dodgers, 176th overall)
- RHP Damien Magnifico, Oklahoma by way of Mesquite HS (Brewers, 185th overall)
- C Josh Elander, TCU (Braves, 209th overall)
- LHP Hoby Milner, Texas by way of Fort Worth Paschal (Phillies, 248th overall)
- RHP Caleb Hamrick, Cedar Hill HS (Indians, 263rd overall)
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast Rangers GM Jon Daniels joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to tackle the tough questions after his team failed to advance to the playoffs.
Play Podcast Nolan Ryan joins Galloway and Company to discuss having Nelson Cruz back in the lineup and how the Rangers are feeling heading into their wild-card play-in game against the Rays.
Play Podcast ESPN Insider and senior MLB analyst Jim Bowden joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to discuss the wild-card race and the Rangers' chances of making the playoffs.
Play Podcast Chuck Cooperstein joins Ian Fitzsimmons and Tim MacMahon to discuss why he feels Rangers pitcher Yu Darvish isn't an ace.
Play Podcast Elvis Andrus joins Galloway and Company to discuss the Rangers' stretch run and the morale level in their clubhouse.
Play Podcast Nolan Ryan joins Galloway and Company to discuss the latest Rangers news, including the team's struggles, Ron Washington's job security and a rumored trade with the Braves.
Play Podcast Ron Washington joins Ian Fitzsimmons and Tim MacMahon to discuss the Rangers' dismal September, who's to blame for their September struggles and his status as the team's manager.
Play Podcast Fitzsimmons and Durrett discuss how some people are calling for the Rangers to fire manager Ron Washington.