Rangers add more OFs, three pitchers
Here is a list of the newest Rangers in the order they were drafted:
- RHP Alec Asher, Polk State College (Florida), 6-foot-4, 220 (fourth round, 156th overall): Asher set a school record for wins with a 13-1 record through 111 innings. He had a team-best 1.38 ERA with 108 strikeouts and just 27 walks. Asher was first-team 2012 All-Suncoast Conference and won the Robert Purkey Jr. Award (most outstanding pitcher of the state tournament) en route to leading his team to an appearance in the NJCAA JUCO World Series. Read more about Asher here.
- OF Preston Beck, UT-Arlington, 6-foot-2, 190 (fifth round, 186th overall): Beck was first team All-Southland Conference in 2012. He also led the conference in home runs (11) and RBIs (60) while batting .337.
- OF Royce Bolinger, Gonzaga, 6-foot-2, 200 (sixth round, 216th overall): Bolinger holds the Gonzaga season record for hits (93). An All-West Coast Conference selection, Bolinger's .392 batting average was the best in the WCC. The righty also had a .620 slugging percentage and hit 11 home runs. Read more here.
- 2B Cam Schiller, Oral Roberts, 6-foot, 195 (seventh round, 246th overall): Schiller is a switch hitter and was a first team All-Summit League selection in 2012.
- RHP Cody Kendall, Fresno State, 6-foot-2, 210 (eighth round, 276th overall): Kendall accumulated a 4.99 ERA through 61 innings. He registered 39 strikeouts. Read more here.
- RHP John Niggli, Liberty University (Virginia), 6-foot-4, 185 (ninth round, 306th overall): Niggli posted a 9-4 record and led his team to an appearance in the Big South Conference title game.
A considerable amount of local talent was also selected in the fourth through ninth rounds, including:
- 2B Alex Yarbrough, Ole Miss by way of Allen HS (Angels, 147th overall)
- LHP Steven Okert, Oklahoma by way of Rowlett HS (Giants, 148th overall)
- OF Chuck Taylor, Mansfield Timberview (D-Backs, 153rd overall)
- LHP Colin Poche, Flower Mound Marcus (Orioles, 162nd overall)
- 1B Max Muncy, Baylor by way of Keller HS (A's, 169th overall)
- RHP Ross Stripling, Texas A&M by way of Southlake Carroll (Dodgers, 176th overall)
- RHP Damien Magnifico, Oklahoma by way of Mesquite HS (Brewers, 185th overall)
- C Josh Elander, TCU (Braves, 209th overall)
- LHP Hoby Milner, Texas by way of Fort Worth Paschal (Phillies, 248th overall)
- RHP Caleb Hamrick, Cedar Hill HS (Indians, 263rd overall)
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast Rangers shortstop Elvis Andrus joins Galloway & Company to discuss having Scott Boras as his agent, his new contract and having Jurickson Profar in the lineup.
Play Podcast Rangers manager Ron Washington joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett for his weekly visit to discuss Yu Darvish's pitch count and how he spends time in the clubhouse during weather delays.
Play Podcast Nolan Ryan joins Galloway & Company for his weekly visit to discuss the latest Rangers news.
Play Podcast Reid Ryan joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss his new position with the Houston Astros and whether he could see his dad, Nolan, joining him there in the future.
Play Podcast ESPN MLB Insider Jayson Stark joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss if the Rangers are the best team in baseball, what makes them so good and if he thinks the team will trade Jurickson Profar.
Play Podcast Jim Bowden joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss Ron Washington's decision to send Yu Darvish to the mound for the eighth inning Thursday night and how he would handle a situation like that if he were still a GM.
Play Podcast Randy Galloway, Matt Mosley and Glenn "Stretch" Smith discuss the latest Rangers news, including the Yu Darvish-Justin Verlander matchup.
Play Podcast Nelson Cruz joins Galloway & Company to discuss the Rangers' series in Oakland, his ups and downs at the plate and if the PED talks before the season were a distraction.