Rangers draft FSU football recruit, load up on pitchers
Winston was the most intriguing selection in the 15th round, as he is already committed to play quarterback at Florida State. Kip Fagg, the Rangers' director of amateur scouting, is willing to wait and see if Winston will choose baseball eventually.
"I don't think it's a situation where we expect or hope that Jameis is not going to play football; he's going to play football at Florida State," Fagg said. "There is a possibility that Jameis could come out and play baseball with the Texas Rangers in the offseason. So that's kind of what we're looking at right now."
In addition to the two outfielders, the Rangers picked four pitchers in the Rounds 10-15. In all, the Rangers have selected seven outfielders and eight pitchers so far in this year's draft. Fagg said the large quantity of same position players is not a worry.
"Every draft is different, and I think a lot of the strength of this draft was in the outfield class," Fagg said. "We're very happy with the guys we acquired."
Here is the complete list of players the Rangers drafted in Round 10 through 15 to finish Day two:
- RHP Joseph Shiver, Southern Polytechnic State (Georgia), 6-foot-2, 175 (tenth round, 336th overall)
- RHP Eric Brooks, McLennan CC (Texas), 6-foot-1, 195 (11th round, 366th overall)
- RHP Keone Kela, Everett CC (Washington), 6-foot-1, 190 (12th round, 396th overall): Also played DH.
- LHP Sam Stafford, Texas, 6-foot-3, 220 (13th round, 426th overall): Drafted by Yankees in second round of 2011 Draft. Missed 2012 season with a shoulder injury. The Rangers organization is confident he can be healthy enough to pitch in the minors soon.
- OF Kwinton Smith, Dillon High School (South Carolina), 6-foot-3, 175 (14th round, 356th overall)
- OF Jameis Winston, Hueytown High School (Alabama), 6-foot-4, 190 (15th round, 486th overall): Read ESPN's story on him here.
More notable local players were also drafted in the 10th-15th rounds across the league:
- SS Joel Hutter, Dallas Baptist (Orioles, 312th overall)
- OF Jonathan Walsh, Texas by way of Coppell High School (Angels, 357th overall)
- OF Kyle Von Tungeln, TCU (Rockies, 408th overall)
- RHP Stuart Pudenz, Dallas Baptist (A's, 409th overall)
- RHP Shane Broyles, Texas Tech by way of Burleson High School (Rockies, 438th overall)
- RHP Lucas Moran, Grayson County College (Reds, 442nd overall)
The 2012 MLB Draft resumes Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. CST for rounds 16-40 and the third and final day.
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast Rangers GM Jon Daniels joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to tackle the tough questions after his team failed to advance to the playoffs.
Play Podcast Nolan Ryan joins Galloway and Company to discuss having Nelson Cruz back in the lineup and how the Rangers are feeling heading into their wild-card play-in game against the Rays.
Play Podcast ESPN Insider and senior MLB analyst Jim Bowden joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to discuss the wild-card race and the Rangers' chances of making the playoffs.
Play Podcast Chuck Cooperstein joins Ian Fitzsimmons and Tim MacMahon to discuss why he feels Rangers pitcher Yu Darvish isn't an ace.
Play Podcast Elvis Andrus joins Galloway and Company to discuss the Rangers' stretch run and the morale level in their clubhouse.
Play Podcast Nolan Ryan joins Galloway and Company to discuss the latest Rangers news, including the team's struggles, Ron Washington's job security and a rumored trade with the Braves.
Play Podcast Ron Washington joins Ian Fitzsimmons and Tim MacMahon to discuss the Rangers' dismal September, who's to blame for their September struggles and his status as the team's manager.
Play Podcast Fitzsimmons and Durrett discuss how some people are calling for the Rangers to fire manager Ron Washington.