Thoughts on Roy Oswalt, rotation changes
The Texas Rangers announced today that Roy Oswalt will start Friday's game against Colorado, making his debut in a Rangers uniform (and in the American League). But that was just the first ripple in the rotation pond. Some thoughts on what all of this means:
* Justin Grimm's quality start on Saturday has earned him at least one more start. For now, with Derek Holland, Neftali Feliz and Alexi Ogando still on the DL, the rotation starting Friday is: Oswalt, Colby Lewis, Matt Harrison, Grimm and Yu Darvish. The Rangers are off Thursday.
* Oswalt's Sunday start in the minors convinced the club he was ready. He threw 100 pitches in six innings, gave up two runs, showed he could go deep into the game and had good command. Rangers CEO Nolan Ryan attended the outing and was pleased.
"I thought he pitched to both sides of the plate last night and maintained his stuff throughout the game," Ryan said Monday on ESPN Dallas 103.3 FM’s Galloway and Company. "There wasn't a wow factor to his game, but the ball was coming out of his hand well. I thought he went about his business the way I would expect him to. He was making pitches and doing things I anticipated seeing him do."
* Scott Feldman heads back to the bullpen. This move makes the most sense. Why not see what Grimm can do and put Feldman back in a long-relief role, a job which he was doing well until he got the call to step into the rotation? Tuesday was Feldman's first win of the season, ending an 0-6 mark in starts. But the best five the Rangers have now are the five they'll roll with until Holland returns.
* Holland and Feliz are both throwing now and starting to get their arms going again. Holland shouldn't take too long to get ready, but with Oswalt active and Grimm now in the rotation, the club doesn't have to be in a huge rush with him. Feliz can't return until July 18. But when Holland is ready, Grimm is likely to go back to Double-A.
* It should make for an interesting homestand with Oswalt kicking things off, as fans will also get a second look at Grimm and, assuming the rotation holds as is, another chance to see Oswalt next Wednesday against the Detroit Tigers.
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast Rangers GM Jon Daniels joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to tackle the tough questions after his team failed to advance to the playoffs.
Play Podcast Nolan Ryan joins Galloway and Company to discuss having Nelson Cruz back in the lineup and how the Rangers are feeling heading into their wild-card play-in game against the Rays.
Play Podcast ESPN Insider and senior MLB analyst Jim Bowden joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to discuss the wild-card race and the Rangers' chances of making the playoffs.
Play Podcast Chuck Cooperstein joins Ian Fitzsimmons and Tim MacMahon to discuss why he feels Rangers pitcher Yu Darvish isn't an ace.
Play Podcast Elvis Andrus joins Galloway and Company to discuss the Rangers' stretch run and the morale level in their clubhouse.
Play Podcast Nolan Ryan joins Galloway and Company to discuss the latest Rangers news, including the team's struggles, Ron Washington's job security and a rumored trade with the Braves.
Play Podcast Ron Washington joins Ian Fitzsimmons and Tim MacMahon to discuss the Rangers' dismal September, who's to blame for their September struggles and his status as the team's manager.
Play Podcast Fitzsimmons and Durrett discuss how some people are calling for the Rangers to fire manager Ron Washington.