Buzz: Derek Holland progressing
“I actually tried to do more and (pitching coach Mike) Maddux took the ball,” Holland said. “I felt good. Everything was working fine. I threw everything – curveball, fastball, slider. I’m just waiting to see what the next step will be after this.”
Holland, who is 5-4 with a 5.10 ERA this season, was placed on the DL 15 days ago due to a stomach ailment and weakened shoulder. He had dropped from 215 pounds to 198, causing him to lose velocity on his fastball. Holland said Friday that he weighs 207.
Manager Ron Washington said a timetable for Holland’s return has yet to be established.
UPDATE: Holland threw 42 pitches in a bullpen session today. He is expected to throw again Sunday or Monday.
* Other Rangers pitchers on the disabled list are also making progress. Alexi Ogando is expected to long toss today. Koji Uehara is feeling better and may start throwing tomorrow. Neftali Feliz has made less progress as his rehab is moving slow.
* Mitch Moreland is out 4-6 weeks with a hamstring injury. Read more here.
* With Moreland out of the lineup, Ron Washington said he will be using Mike Napoli, Michael Young, and Brandon Snyder at first base. He said he will be using his DH slot to give his starters a break from defense and allow players like Leonys Martin and Craig Gentry to get more playing time.
* Temperatures this weekend are expected to be in the 100's and Washington said that the Rangers would be limiting their time outside. He said that they would probably alternate days hitting outside and closely monitor player health.
* Ballots are in the clubhouse and the Rangers players are casting their votes this week for the MLB All-Star game.
* Going into Friday's game, the Rangers are 12-3 in interleague play and are riding a six-game winning streak. The Rangers are tied with the New York Yankees for the best interleague record in the majors from 2010-12 at 35-16.
* Today is Ian Kinsler's 30th birthday.
* TCU head baseball coach Jim Schlossnagle was in the clubhouse today with his new assistant coach, Kirk Saarloos. The two visited and were with the team for batting practice.
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast Rangers shortstop Elvis Andrus joins Galloway & Company to discuss having Scott Boras as his agent, his new contract and having Jurickson Profar in the lineup.
Play Podcast Rangers manager Ron Washington joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett for his weekly visit to discuss Yu Darvish's pitch count and how he spends time in the clubhouse during weather delays.
Play Podcast Nolan Ryan joins Galloway & Company for his weekly visit to discuss the latest Rangers news.
Play Podcast Reid Ryan joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss his new position with the Houston Astros and whether he could see his dad, Nolan, joining him there in the future.
Play Podcast ESPN MLB Insider Jayson Stark joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss if the Rangers are the best team in baseball, what makes them so good and if he thinks the team will trade Jurickson Profar.
Play Podcast Jim Bowden joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss Ron Washington's decision to send Yu Darvish to the mound for the eighth inning Thursday night and how he would handle a situation like that if he were still a GM.
Play Podcast Randy Galloway, Matt Mosley and Glenn "Stretch" Smith discuss the latest Rangers news, including the Yu Darvish-Justin Verlander matchup.
Play Podcast Nelson Cruz joins Galloway & Company to discuss the Rangers' series in Oakland, his ups and downs at the plate and if the PED talks before the season were a distraction.