Buzz: Derek Holland progressing
“I actually tried to do more and (pitching coach Mike) Maddux took the ball,” Holland said. “I felt good. Everything was working fine. I threw everything – curveball, fastball, slider. I’m just waiting to see what the next step will be after this.”
Holland, who is 5-4 with a 5.10 ERA this season, was placed on the DL 15 days ago due to a stomach ailment and weakened shoulder. He had dropped from 215 pounds to 198, causing him to lose velocity on his fastball. Holland said Friday that he weighs 207.
Manager Ron Washington said a timetable for Holland’s return has yet to be established.
UPDATE: Holland threw 42 pitches in a bullpen session today. He is expected to throw again Sunday or Monday.
* Other Rangers pitchers on the disabled list are also making progress. Alexi Ogando is expected to long toss today. Koji Uehara is feeling better and may start throwing tomorrow. Neftali Feliz has made less progress as his rehab is moving slow.
* Mitch Moreland is out 4-6 weeks with a hamstring injury. Read more here.
* With Moreland out of the lineup, Ron Washington said he will be using Mike Napoli, Michael Young, and Brandon Snyder at first base. He said he will be using his DH slot to give his starters a break from defense and allow players like Leonys Martin and Craig Gentry to get more playing time.
* Temperatures this weekend are expected to be in the 100's and Washington said that the Rangers would be limiting their time outside. He said that they would probably alternate days hitting outside and closely monitor player health.
* Ballots are in the clubhouse and the Rangers players are casting their votes this week for the MLB All-Star game.
* Going into Friday's game, the Rangers are 12-3 in interleague play and are riding a six-game winning streak. The Rangers are tied with the New York Yankees for the best interleague record in the majors from 2010-12 at 35-16.
* Today is Ian Kinsler's 30th birthday.
* TCU head baseball coach Jim Schlossnagle was in the clubhouse today with his new assistant coach, Kirk Saarloos. The two visited and were with the team for batting practice.
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast Rangers GM Jon Daniels joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to tackle the tough questions after his team failed to advance to the playoffs.
Play Podcast Nolan Ryan joins Galloway and Company to discuss having Nelson Cruz back in the lineup and how the Rangers are feeling heading into their wild-card play-in game against the Rays.
Play Podcast ESPN Insider and senior MLB analyst Jim Bowden joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to discuss the wild-card race and the Rangers' chances of making the playoffs.
Play Podcast Chuck Cooperstein joins Ian Fitzsimmons and Tim MacMahon to discuss why he feels Rangers pitcher Yu Darvish isn't an ace.
Play Podcast Elvis Andrus joins Galloway and Company to discuss the Rangers' stretch run and the morale level in their clubhouse.
Play Podcast Nolan Ryan joins Galloway and Company to discuss the latest Rangers news, including the team's struggles, Ron Washington's job security and a rumored trade with the Braves.
Play Podcast Ron Washington joins Ian Fitzsimmons and Tim MacMahon to discuss the Rangers' dismal September, who's to blame for their September struggles and his status as the team's manager.
Play Podcast Fitzsimmons and Durrett discuss how some people are calling for the Rangers to fire manager Ron Washington.