What would you give up for Zack Greinke?
Yu Darvish, Colby Lewis, the club's top postseason pitcher the past two years, and perhaps Matt Harrison, a possible All-Star, ready to go in a playoff rotation is appealing.
A few things to consider:
* Greinke is a free agent at the end of the season, so this would be a three-month rental unless he ends up staying in Texas long-term. But the Rangers can't make the trade expecting that to be the case.
* He won't come cheap. If he's indeed on the market, he's one of the top pitching options out there, and with the additional playoff spots this season, more teams may be interested in making a move to jump into the postseason discussion. That could mean dealing a current big league player and top prospects. I can't think that for a three-month rental, the Rangers entertain thoughts of dealing Mike Olt or Jurickson Profar. Those are pieces you save for a bigger return. But what about someone like Martin Perez? The young prospect could get the start Saturday, depending on what happens with the bullpen, and it would be a chance for scouts to see what he's got. But it's going to take some sort of competitive package and parting with talent to get Greinke.
* What hurts Greinke's value to another team is a rule, now in effect under the new collective bargaining agreement, that doesn't allow the team that trades for Greinke to get the draft pick as compensation.
* The Rangers have made deals with Milwaukee and Doug Melvin before at the deadline. In fact, one of Jon Daniels' early deals was to acquire Carlos Lee and Nelson Cruz for a package of players that included closer Francisco Cordero in July 2006.
* Could Milwaukee trade Greinke sooner rather than later with the idea that the team that acquires him could get additional starts out of him, perhaps increasing his value? Maybe. We saw that Seattle did that with Cliff Lee, when the Rangers got him on July 9, 2010, three weeks before the deadline.
* Texas has liked Greinke for years and was interested when the Kansas City Royals dealt Greinke to the Brewers after the 2010 season.
So what are you willing to give up for Greinke? Would you trade anyone in the rotation right now along with prospects? Are you willing to dangle Olt or Profar for a rental player?
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast Rangers GM Jon Daniels joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to tackle the tough questions after his team failed to advance to the playoffs.
Play Podcast Nolan Ryan joins Galloway and Company to discuss having Nelson Cruz back in the lineup and how the Rangers are feeling heading into their wild-card play-in game against the Rays.
Play Podcast ESPN Insider and senior MLB analyst Jim Bowden joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to discuss the wild-card race and the Rangers' chances of making the playoffs.
Play Podcast Chuck Cooperstein joins Ian Fitzsimmons and Tim MacMahon to discuss why he feels Rangers pitcher Yu Darvish isn't an ace.
Play Podcast Elvis Andrus joins Galloway and Company to discuss the Rangers' stretch run and the morale level in their clubhouse.
Play Podcast Nolan Ryan joins Galloway and Company to discuss the latest Rangers news, including the team's struggles, Ron Washington's job security and a rumored trade with the Braves.
Play Podcast Ron Washington joins Ian Fitzsimmons and Tim MacMahon to discuss the Rangers' dismal September, who's to blame for their September struggles and his status as the team's manager.
Play Podcast Fitzsimmons and Durrett discuss how some people are calling for the Rangers to fire manager Ron Washington.