Numbers: How Felix Hernandez beat Texas
* Hernandez threw 70 percent fastballs, his highest percentage in a start since Sept. 5, 2010. His fastball averaged a season-high 92.7 mph.
* He threw 46 of his 75 fastballs (61 percent) in the strike zone, his highest percentage in a start this season.
* While he pitched off his fastball - throwing 26 of them on the first pitch - Hernandez primarily used his offspeed stuff to put hitters away. Nine of his 12 strikeouts were on offspeed pitches (six changeups, three curveballs). He took 17 hitters to a two-strike count and retired all 17.
* Hernandez's changeup, in particular, was dominant. He threw 16 of them and Rangers hitters failed to put a single one in play (eight swings and misses, one foul).
* It was Hernandez's second shutout this season with 12 or more strikeouts. He struck out 13 Red Sox in a shutout on June 28. He becomes the first pitcher to have multiple shutouts with 12 or more strikeouts in a single season since Randy Johnson did it twice for Arizona in 2002. He is only the second Mariner to achieve the feat, joining Johnson, who did it twice in 1995.
Texas will try to get its offense going in the final game of this three-game series against RHP Hisashi Iwakuma (1-1, 4.84 ERA). LHP Matt Harrison (11-4, 3.10 ERA) is on the hill for the Rangers.
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast Rangers GM Jon Daniels joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to tackle the tough questions after his team failed to advance to the playoffs.
Play Podcast Nolan Ryan joins Galloway and Company to discuss having Nelson Cruz back in the lineup and how the Rangers are feeling heading into their wild-card play-in game against the Rays.
Play Podcast ESPN Insider and senior MLB analyst Jim Bowden joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to discuss the wild-card race and the Rangers' chances of making the playoffs.
Play Podcast Chuck Cooperstein joins Ian Fitzsimmons and Tim MacMahon to discuss why he feels Rangers pitcher Yu Darvish isn't an ace.
Play Podcast Elvis Andrus joins Galloway and Company to discuss the Rangers' stretch run and the morale level in their clubhouse.
Play Podcast Nolan Ryan joins Galloway and Company to discuss the latest Rangers news, including the team's struggles, Ron Washington's job security and a rumored trade with the Braves.
Play Podcast Ron Washington joins Ian Fitzsimmons and Tim MacMahon to discuss the Rangers' dismal September, who's to blame for their September struggles and his status as the team's manager.
Play Podcast Fitzsimmons and Durrett discuss how some people are calling for the Rangers to fire manager Ron Washington.