Week ahead: Kansas City, Tampa Bay
The Texas Rangers continue their road trip through Kansas City and Tampa Bay. Here's a quick look at some things to watch:
* The Rangers have four against the Royals, and Yu Darvish gets his first chance to pitch at Kauffman Stadium (he was there for the All-Star Game, but didn't pitch) this afternoon. That usually bodes well for Darvish, who pitches well against teams he's never faced. Darvish is 9-3 with a 3.07 ERA in 13 starts against a team for the first time.
* Jurickson Profar's debut will certainly have folks keeping an eye on him this week. He had a homer and a double Sunday (homering in his first major-league at-bat). You can read more here.
* The Rangers' offense continues to produce. They got eight more runs on Sunday in winning the series against Cleveland, including four home runs.
* Adrian Beltre was the Rangers' player of the month for August. But he's hitting the ball well in September, too. He had three hits Saturday and a home run Sunday.
* The Rangers took two out of three from the Rays in Arlington, but get to face them in Tampa later this week. It's possible that it could be a playoff preview, depending on how things line up once the postseason starts and whether the Rays can win a fierce battle for a wild-card spot.
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast Jim Bowden joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss Ron Washington's decision to send Yu Darvish to the mound for the eighth inning Thursday night and how he would handle a situation like that if he were still a GM.
Play Podcast Randy Galloway, Matt Mosley and Glenn "Stretch" Smith discuss the latest Rangers news, including the Yu Darvish-Justin Verlander matchup.
Play Podcast Nelson Cruz joins Galloway & Company to discuss the Rangers' series in Oakland, his ups and downs at the plate and if the PED talks before the season were a distraction.
Play Podcast Rangers manager Ron Washington joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett live from Oakland for his weekly visit.
Play Podcast Nolan Ryan joins Galloway & Company to discuss his role with the Rangers. Ryan says that he has not been in contact with the Astros about a possible opening and he doesn't think that he would be interested anyway.
Play Podcast Jim Bowden joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett for his weekly visit and wastes no time sounding off on MLB umpire Angel Hernandez.
Play Podcast Rangers first baseman Mitch Moreland joins GAC from Milwaukee to discuss what it was like facing former teammate Scott Feldman, Texas' upcoming series and more.
Play Podcast Ron Washington joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett live from Milwaukee for his weekly visit and discusses Nick Tepesch, the Rangers' rotation, interleague play and more.