Buzz: Alexi Ogando closes if needed today
Manager Ron Washington said Alexi Ogando is ready to go and will close if needed tonight. Ogando threw eight pitches on Thursday to help the club get out of a bases-loaded jam in the eighth.
The skipper did sound optimistic on Adams, adding that it's possible if the pitcher feels better today that he could be an option out of the bullpen on Saturday.
* RHP Roy Oswalt said he felt some discomfort during his bullpen session on Thursday, but it isn't stopping him from trying to throw again today. At this point, unless it gets more uncomfortable, Oswalt's plan is to throw a few more times and then possibly have a full bullpen session early next week (he thinks maybe Tuesday) to see how it feels.
* Washington said he plans on playing Jurickson Profar on Saturday against LHP Jason Vargas with the idea that he'd like to see him bat right-handed. Profar does not have any right-handed at-bats in the majors yet. Washington isn't sure how he'll get Profar in -- he could put Elvis Andrus at DH and play Profar at shortstop or put Ian Kinsler at DH and play Profar at second.
* Adrian Beltre should be available to play third base on Saturday. He is the DH in Friday's game.
* The Rangers didn't want to pitch Michael Kirkman against left-handed Shin-Soo Choo because he had been warmed up a lot the last few nights. So even though Kirkman didn't get in a game, the club knows that can take a toll. That's why Martin Perez came into the eighth inning on Thursday.
"He's back tonight, but we decided to stay away last night," Washington said.
* Washington said the dugout was yelling at Tanner Scheppers to glove the bunt down the first-base line in the eighth inning, but Scheppers didn't hear them. The ball took a strange bounce and rolled back into fair territory, turning into a sacrifice bunt. Washington said he wants his pitchers to glove that ball while it's in foul territory and make the batter execute the bunt.
* The skipper was pleased with Koji Uehara, who pitched the last three games as well. Washington said if he absolutely needs Uehara, he'll pitch him tonight.
"He's got to see hitters," Washington said. "He's done a good job. We've been waiting for this. He came in yesterday and got those lefties with a runner at third and got out of it."
* Assuming rain doesn't ruin things in Frisco tonight, Mike Napoli should get three or four at-bats and would then join the team on Saturday. Washington said he plans on catching Napoli on Saturday if he's ready.
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast Jim Bowden joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett for his weekly visit to discuss a hypothetical Jurickson Profar for Cliff Lee trade, how he would handle Profar's playing time with the Rangers and more.
Play Podcast Rangers shortstop Elvis Andrus joins Galloway & Company to discuss having Scott Boras as his agent, his new contract and having Jurickson Profar in the lineup.
Play Podcast Rangers manager Ron Washington joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett for his weekly visit to discuss Yu Darvish's pitch count and how he spends time in the clubhouse during weather delays.
Play Podcast Nolan Ryan joins Galloway & Company for his weekly visit to discuss the latest Rangers news.
Play Podcast Reid Ryan joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss his new position with the Houston Astros and whether he could see his dad, Nolan, joining him there in the future.
Play Podcast ESPN MLB Insider Jayson Stark joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss if the Rangers are the best team in baseball, what makes them so good and if he thinks the team will trade Jurickson Profar.
Play Podcast Jim Bowden joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss Ron Washington's decision to send Yu Darvish to the mound for the eighth inning Thursday night and how he would handle a situation like that if he were still a GM.
Play Podcast Randy Galloway, Matt Mosley and Glenn "Stretch" Smith discuss the latest Rangers news, including the Yu Darvish-Justin Verlander matchup.
- There are no games scheduled for today.