Buzz: Mike Napoli rested and ready
"I've been chomping at the bit to get in there," Napoli said. "I'm excited. I feel good."
Napoli spent a month on the disabled list with a strained quad after struggling at the plate this season. But the time off may given him time to regroup and be fresh for the stretch drive and postseason.
"The one factor I'm looking for tonight is how he moves behind the plate," manager Ron Washington said. "The offensive stuff will take care of itself. He is fresh."
Catching instructor Hector Ortiz has worked with Napoli during rehab, and Napoli said he doesn't feel any issues with the quad while catching. He won't be running at 100 percent.
"But I'm never been a burner," Napoli joked.
* Joe Nathan said he's going to take another day off but expects to return Sunday. Nathan said he isn't sure if he's going through a "dead-arm" period or just the effects of a heavier workload recently. But he isn't worried either way, adding that he'll take this minibreak and throw through any pain.
"I won't overdo it," Nathan said. "But you just keep throwing and you get back to where you were."
* Mike Adams and Koji Uehara won't be pitching tonight. Adams is being given at least another day to rest his tight trapezius muscle. Uehara pitched four consecutive games for the first time in his career and needs a break. Robbie Ross was activated, but the club would like to stay away from him after he threw a bullpen session Friday.
* Washington said that he plans on splitting the catching duties between Napoli and Soto, but that Soto will remain the catcher for Yu Darvish's starts. Why break up that tandem? Washington said he likes the way Soto has caught him during Darvish's improved streak the last five starts.
* Jurickson Profar is in the lineup tonight at shortstop. Washington wanted to give Andrus a half-day off at DH. "I hope I get some ground balls," Profar said.
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast Jim Bowden joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett for his weekly visit to discuss a hypothetical Jurickson Profar for Cliff Lee trade, how he would handle Profar's playing time with the Rangers and more.
Play Podcast Rangers shortstop Elvis Andrus joins Galloway & Company to discuss having Scott Boras as his agent, his new contract and having Jurickson Profar in the lineup.
Play Podcast Rangers manager Ron Washington joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett for his weekly visit to discuss Yu Darvish's pitch count and how he spends time in the clubhouse during weather delays.
Play Podcast Nolan Ryan joins Galloway & Company for his weekly visit to discuss the latest Rangers news.
Play Podcast Reid Ryan joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss his new position with the Houston Astros and whether he could see his dad, Nolan, joining him there in the future.
Play Podcast ESPN MLB Insider Jayson Stark joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss if the Rangers are the best team in baseball, what makes them so good and if he thinks the team will trade Jurickson Profar.
Play Podcast Jim Bowden joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss Ron Washington's decision to send Yu Darvish to the mound for the eighth inning Thursday night and how he would handle a situation like that if he were still a GM.
Play Podcast Randy Galloway, Matt Mosley and Glenn "Stretch" Smith discuss the latest Rangers news, including the Yu Darvish-Justin Verlander matchup.
- There are no games scheduled for today.