Buzz: No decision on No. 5 spot yet
Scott Feldman has held that job but struggled in Saturday's game with the Seattle Mariners, allowing six runs on seven hits in 2 2/3 innings. So that leaves the Rangers with a decision to make. The club could decide to move some things around with Monday's off day, but assuming the rotation stays the same and just backs up, the No. 5 spot would once again come up in Seattle and then twice against the Oakland A's.
Washington said that right now the club is set through the Angels series. That's Ryan Dempster, Derek Holland and Yu Darvish in Anaheim for that series, which starts Tuesday.
Washington was asked about Feldman's up-and-down year, which has included losing six straight decisions to start the season, then winning six and now being in a five-game losing streak with two no-decisions.
"If you look at the past six or seven that he's had, if he could have caught a break here or there it might have made a difference," Washington said. "To go through what he went through and then have a short outing like last night, it brings up questions. The questions it brought up, we haven't sat down and tried to answer them yet."
* Mike Adams will not pitch today and hopes to throw Tuesday. He said his tight trapezius muscle felt better Sunday morning (as he walked in wearing a DeMarcus Ware jersey and predicting a Cowboys victory), but he's going to stay rested.
* Joe Nathan says he doesn't expect to pitch Sunday, either. He could but thinks it's more likely the club will stay away from him to give him today and Monday before he returns on Tuesday.
* Robbie Ross was activated Saturday and is ready to pitch. ... Washington said Koji Uehara is available, but that they probably don't want to pitch Alexi Ogando. So we'll see how things line up in the bullpen.
* Mike Napoli said his strained quad muscle felt fine Saturday and he was pleased with how he felt behind the plate. The catcher had a big day at the plate, highlighted by the three-run homer to help get the Rangers back in it.
"I felt pretty good," Napoli said. "But it's one day. I'm going to take one at-bat at a time and try to keep this going."
Napoli was excited to play in front of the Rangers crowd again.
"The fans here are great," Napoli said. "I love playing here. It was a good feeling being back here. I was excited."
* Wilmer Font and Justin Grimm have been recalled and give the bullpen some depth. Washington said he plans on using Font in low-pressure situations to ease him in and he's glad to have another guy in Grimm that can give him multiple innings.
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast Jim Bowden joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett for his weekly visit to discuss a hypothetical Jurickson Profar for Cliff Lee trade, how he would handle Profar's playing time with the Rangers and more.
Play Podcast Rangers shortstop Elvis Andrus joins Galloway & Company to discuss having Scott Boras as his agent, his new contract and having Jurickson Profar in the lineup.
Play Podcast Rangers manager Ron Washington joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett for his weekly visit to discuss Yu Darvish's pitch count and how he spends time in the clubhouse during weather delays.
Play Podcast Nolan Ryan joins Galloway & Company for his weekly visit to discuss the latest Rangers news.
Play Podcast Reid Ryan joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss his new position with the Houston Astros and whether he could see his dad, Nolan, joining him there in the future.
Play Podcast ESPN MLB Insider Jayson Stark joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss if the Rangers are the best team in baseball, what makes them so good and if he thinks the team will trade Jurickson Profar.
Play Podcast Jim Bowden joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss Ron Washington's decision to send Yu Darvish to the mound for the eighth inning Thursday night and how he would handle a situation like that if he were still a GM.
Play Podcast Randy Galloway, Matt Mosley and Glenn "Stretch" Smith discuss the latest Rangers news, including the Yu Darvish-Justin Verlander matchup.
- There are no games scheduled for today.