Rangers expect bolstered bullpen this week
|Rangers president Nolan Ryan dishes on the AL West race, Koji Uehara's impressive outings and much more. |
But things are looking up as the club has an off day today and heads to Anaheim for three against the Angels. Here's the bullpen update:
* Nathan should be ready to go on Tuesday after getting the past few days off. He said he isn't sure if what he's experiencing is just a slight dead-arm stretch or that the workload got to him. But he pitched three days in a row and four of the last five before getting the break.
"Either way, I'll have to pitch through it," Nathan said. "It's good to get a mini-break and then get back at it."
Nathan blew his first save in more than five months last week but says his confidence level is high and he's looking forward to the final two weeks of the season.
* Adams was given Sunday off to rest his shoulder one more day. But he expects to throw Tuesday. We'll see if he's used that quickly, but he should be a part of the bullpen in the next few days. Adams said the shoulder felt better on Sunday.
* Koji Uehara is proving to be a vital reliever, particularly against left-handed pitching. His splitter is working well and he showed he could pitch in four straight games last week.
* Robbie Ross was activated Saturday and gives the bullpen another weapon. He said the rest the last few weeks has been good for him and he's excited about the pennant race.
* Wilmer Font and Justin Grimm were recalled Saturday night. Washington said Font would pitch in low-pressure situations as he eases in. Grimm gives the club another arm that can go multiple innings.
But with two weeks left, the Rangers need a full bullpen ready to go, particularly the arms they've relied on all season.
Do the Rangers have the best bullpen in the AL?
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast Rangers GM Jon Daniels joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to tackle the tough questions after his team failed to advance to the playoffs.
Play Podcast Nolan Ryan joins Galloway and Company to discuss having Nelson Cruz back in the lineup and how the Rangers are feeling heading into their wild-card play-in game against the Rays.
Play Podcast ESPN Insider and senior MLB analyst Jim Bowden joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to discuss the wild-card race and the Rangers' chances of making the playoffs.
Play Podcast Chuck Cooperstein joins Ian Fitzsimmons and Tim MacMahon to discuss why he feels Rangers pitcher Yu Darvish isn't an ace.
Play Podcast Elvis Andrus joins Galloway and Company to discuss the Rangers' stretch run and the morale level in their clubhouse.
Play Podcast Nolan Ryan joins Galloway and Company to discuss the latest Rangers news, including the team's struggles, Ron Washington's job security and a rumored trade with the Braves.
Play Podcast Ron Washington joins Ian Fitzsimmons and Tim MacMahon to discuss the Rangers' dismal September, who's to blame for their September struggles and his status as the team's manager.
Play Podcast Fitzsimmons and Durrett discuss how some people are calling for the Rangers to fire manager Ron Washington.