Buzz: Ron Washington says club needed day off
Washington said he didn't see anything unusual about his team as the players arrived at the ballpark today.
"They came in and started getting their work done," Washington said. "I haven't noticed any change in attitude negatively. They needed it. After the disappointment that they had, having a workout wasn't going to make that much of a difference. They needed some time off to relax and be with their families and come today, go through our normal routine and play a game."
* Mike Adams still hasn't thrown much. He hasn't had a long-toss session or thrown off a mound and is doubtful for the ALDS. Washington said the club can't really put him on there if he hasn't thrown off a mound and it seems unlikely he'll do that before Sunday.
* Washington said Tanner Scheppers was left off in favor of Yoshinori Tateyama because Tateyama gives right-handed hitters "a different look." With the flexibility of changing the roster after the ALDS, Washington went with 11 pitchers, including four lefties. He hopes to be prepared to make any changes needed to get a favorable matchup.
* Washington said he checked with Beltre when the slugger arrived at the park and Beltre told him he was ready to go, so he's in at third base today after being the DH in the series in Oakland.
* The Rangers' intention is to pitch Matt Harrison in Game 1 of the ALDS, but if they need him today, he can pitch. It's his normal day to throw, so he could give them an inning or two and it wouldn't leave him unable to pitch Sunday.
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast Jim Bowden joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett for his weekly visit to discuss a hypothetical Jurickson Profar for Cliff Lee trade, how he would handle Profar's playing time with the Rangers and more.
Play Podcast Rangers shortstop Elvis Andrus joins Galloway & Company to discuss having Scott Boras as his agent, his new contract and having Jurickson Profar in the lineup.
Play Podcast Rangers manager Ron Washington joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett for his weekly visit to discuss Yu Darvish's pitch count and how he spends time in the clubhouse during weather delays.
Play Podcast Nolan Ryan joins Galloway & Company for his weekly visit to discuss the latest Rangers news.
Play Podcast Reid Ryan joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss his new position with the Houston Astros and whether he could see his dad, Nolan, joining him there in the future.
Play Podcast ESPN MLB Insider Jayson Stark joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss if the Rangers are the best team in baseball, what makes them so good and if he thinks the team will trade Jurickson Profar.
Play Podcast Jim Bowden joins Fitzsimmons & Durrett to discuss Ron Washington's decision to send Yu Darvish to the mound for the eighth inning Thursday night and how he would handle a situation like that if he were still a GM.
Play Podcast Randy Galloway, Matt Mosley and Glenn "Stretch" Smith discuss the latest Rangers news, including the Yu Darvish-Justin Verlander matchup.
- There are no games scheduled for today.