Joe Nathan declines WBC invite

January, 16, 2013
1/16/13
12:38
PM CT
Texas Rangers closer Joe Nathan has declined an invitation to pitch for the United States in the World Baseball Classic in March. The veteran said he wanted a "full and normal" spring training.

"I respectfully declined," Nathan said Wednesday via text. "It was a huge honor to be asked and I feel good, but I want to do right by the Rangers."

Nathan, 38, had 37 saves and a 2.80 ERA and was named to the AL All-Star team last year.

For those keeping track, Nelson Cruz and Adrian Beltre are planning to play for the Dominican Republic and shortstop Elvis Andrus for Venezuela. But the WBC shouldn't impact too many Rangers.
Richard Durrett joined ESPNDallas.com in September 2009. He writes about colleges, the Dallas Stars and the Texas Rangers. Richard spent nine years at The Dallas Morning News covering the Rangers, Stars, colleges, motorsports and high schools.

SPONSORED HEADLINES

Comments

You must be signed in to post a comment

Already have an account?

TEAM LEADERS

BA LEADER
Adrian Beltre
BA HR RBI R
.338 13 50 50
OTHER LEADERS
HRA. Beltre 13
RBIA. Beltre 50
RA. Beltre 50
OPSA. Beltre .922
WY. Darvish 8
ERAY. Darvish 2.97
SOY. Darvish 142