Justin Havens at MLB Stats & Information did some digging on Matt Harrison and found that not only was he the Rangers' most consistent pitcher in 2012 but was also one of the top pitchers in all of baseball. A look at some of the numbers:
* He was the fourth-best pitcher in MLB as measured by Wins Above Replacement:
1. Justin Verlander, Tigers: 7.6
2. David Price, Rays: 6.4
3. Clayton Kershaw, Dodgers: 6.2
4. #Matt Harrison, Rangers: 6.2
5. Johnny Cueto, Reds: 5.8
# Previous career-best was 3.5 WAR (2011)
* Harrison has blossomed the past two seasons. He had a 5.59 ERA in his first three seasons with a -0.8 WAR in 225 1/3 innings. In his last two seasons, Harrison has a 3.39 ERA in 399 innings pitched with a 9.7 WAR.
* Harrison has focused on pounding the strike zone in his last two seasons, something that pleases manager Ron Washington. Among left-handed starters, he had the fourth-highest percentage of pitches in the strike zone. Harrison's last three seasons:
2012 -- Walk rate: #6.7 percent; Called strike rate: 34.7 percent
2011 -- Walk rate: 7.4 percent; Called strike rate: 30.2 percent
2010 -- Walk rate: 11 percent; Called strike rate: 28.8 percent
# 59 walks issued in 876 plate appearances
* Highest percentage of pitches in strike zone by left-handers last season:
Cliff Lee, Phillies: 58.1 percent
Derek Holland, Rangers: 54.2 percent
Wei-Yin Chen, Orioles: 53.7 percent
Matt Harrison, Rangers: 53.3 percent
>>League-average: 50.4 percent
103.3 FM ESPN PODCASTS
Play Podcast Rangers GM Jon Daniels joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to tackle the tough questions after his team failed to advance to the playoffs.
Play Podcast Nolan Ryan joins Galloway and Company to discuss having Nelson Cruz back in the lineup and how the Rangers are feeling heading into their wild-card play-in game against the Rays.
Play Podcast ESPN Insider and senior MLB analyst Jim Bowden joins Fitzsimmons and Durrett to discuss the wild-card race and the Rangers' chances of making the playoffs.
Play Podcast Chuck Cooperstein joins Ian Fitzsimmons and Tim MacMahon to discuss why he feels Rangers pitcher Yu Darvish isn't an ace.
Play Podcast Elvis Andrus joins Galloway and Company to discuss the Rangers' stretch run and the morale level in their clubhouse.
Play Podcast Nolan Ryan joins Galloway and Company to discuss the latest Rangers news, including the team's struggles, Ron Washington's job security and a rumored trade with the Braves.
Play Podcast Ron Washington joins Ian Fitzsimmons and Tim MacMahon to discuss the Rangers' dismal September, who's to blame for their September struggles and his status as the team's manager.
Play Podcast Fitzsimmons and Durrett discuss how some people are calling for the Rangers to fire manager Ron Washington.