Notes: Lance Berkman to make debut this week
February, 25, 2013
By Ron Matejko | ESPNDallas.com
SURPRISE, Ariz. -- Lance Berkman (mild calf strain) is expected to make his Cactus League debut Wednesday or Thursday, manager Ron Washington said.
Berkman and Adrian Beltre (calf) were both scheduled to run the bases to test their injuries but that was cancelled due to the weather.
|There are a couple misconceptions floating around about the Texas Rangers. Richard Durrett says if Ian Kinsler isn't switching positions, it's on the ball club, not Kinsler. Durrett also says we need to let things play out with Jurickson Profar.
"It's really not a big deal at all," Berkman said Monday. "I would call this general soreness that you would like to see abate before you begin to play games."
Berkman will run the bases and participate in running drills with the rest of the position players Tuesday.
Other injury notes:
* RHP Colby Lewis (torn flexor tendon surgery) took a step forward in his recovery, albeit a gradual one, as he advanced from long toss to throwing from the half mound. Washington said Lewis remains on schedule to throw his first bullpen session on March 1.
* RHP Kyle McClellan will remain sidelined for at least two more days with muscle soreness in his throwing shoulder. Team doctors said the soreness is not related to the shoulder surgery he had last July. McClellan is currently scheduled to throw a bullpen session Wednesday to test the shoulder after having Sunday's session cut short because of soreness.
* RHP Joakim Soria will throw a bullpen session Monday as he continues rehab from Tommy John surgery.
* RHP Wilmer Font (biceps tendonitis) will not throw a bullpen session off the mound Monday as originally thought and instead will continue to throw from flat ground.
* RHP Tanner Scheppers will miss a second day due to mild left hamstring tightness.
* OF Engel Beltre remains out with a sore left shoulder.
* RHP Ramon Mendez (elbow stress fracture surgery) advanced from long toss and will throw from a half mound.